Sunday, December 19, 2010

88! 88 !!

The UCONN women did it! Read on from Sports Illustrated...


NEW YORK (AP) "Geno Auriemma and Connecticut matched UCLA's record streak in one of basketball's most famous arenas.
Already with no equal in women's basketball, UConn won its 88th straight game Sunday to tie the mark set by coach John Wooden and his UCLA men's teams from 1971-74. Tiffany Hayes scored 26 points and Maya Moore added 22 to help the top-ranked Huskies rout No. 11 Ohio State 81-50 in the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden.
"The number's the number. I don't know if that changes me a whole lot right now," Auriemma said. "I'm going to go to a good restaurant tonight. I'm going to have a good bottle of wine. I would have done that either way."
UConn already owned the longest winning streak in NCAA women's basketball history. Next up, the Huskies (10-0) can surpass the UCLA men Tuesday night at home against No. 15 Florida State.
Connecticut matched the Bruins' mark before a crowd of 15,232 - a record for a women's game at Madison Square Garden. With 40 seconds left, the crowd rose and chanted "88! 88!"


I'm smiling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home