Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 2010

I remember when I was a little kid in the 1800's (just kidding) and it was Thanksgiving Day morning. The smell of turkey had made its way up to the second floor and I was hypnotically hooked. I went downstairs to the kitchen and found my mom there, basting the huge bird and preparing the stuffing. It must have been 6am but it was a big bird that wasn't crispy on the outside skin, at least not yet. My mom had her own way to retain all those wonderful white meat juices and enclosed them within a golden brown crust. MMM, my mouth is watering even though it's not even 6am yet. If I listen really closely, I can hear her, right now, telling me to go upstairs and wash my face and brush my teeth. I used to run up at what I thought was supersonic speed (it's a bird, it's a plane, it's little Petey) to do just that and I came back and plopped down into one of the chairs at the kitchen table to watch her do her magic, sometimes with the help of her mom, my beloved Nanny. I miss those days and I miss my mom. She's alive but that evil disease Alzheimer's has robbed her of most of her memories. On a good day I'll visit her at the Hebrew Home and Hospital, a wonderful place that she's lived in for five years, and SHE'LL REMEMBER ME! But more often than not, she cannot. So I want to dedicate MY Thanksgiving to my mom, the most selfless person I have ever met. I love you mom. I miss you. I always try to do my best, just like you did.

That''s enough of my memories. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day 2010. Treasure your family while you still have them. I wish every one of you the best Thanksgiving Day ever...family, food, fun, maybe a parade or a football game, definitely full stomachs. That goes without saying. Maybe a little basketball. But the Patriots are playing Detroit and I'll be tuned into that pigskin contest. Eat what you want, drive safely and as always, BE WELL. Thanks for stopping in and I'll see you tomorrow, bright and (too) early. If you're on the roads, watch out for the "other guy." He doesn't know what he's doing in SO many cases. Click on this post's title for something a little extra (with sound) and as always, BE HEALTHY, BE WELL. See you tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home