Friday, November 26, 2010

Pass The Salt(y) & Pepper, Please

Hello on this post-Thanksgiving Friday, a day dedicated to digestion and more relaxation. I hope you had a terrific family-filled holiday and I also hope that you have the day off today. It's Black Friday and the shoppers are out there. In fact, some of them have been waiting in the cold drizzle in central Connecticut since midnight. The area WALMARTS seem to be the most populated, followed by Westfarms mall (Macys is a mob scene) and right across the street from it, BEST BUY. But I'm here to talk about the Boston Red Sox and our new, first string catcher (or so it seems), Jarrod Saltalamacchia. When the Sox jettisoned Victor Martinez because they had concerns about his defense, well, I'll let Jarrod tell you. Needless to say, he'll be ready. Here's he is...

“This is the opportunity I’ve been waiting for. I’m glad Victor got what he wanted, but now I need to run with this. I've followed the developments closely. Nothing is set in stone but it looks like I could have an opportunity to earn a spot in the lineup. Obviously it makes me feel great that the organization has confidence in me."

It looks like Jason Varitek will be the backup guy behind the plate and that's not only good for Salty, it's good for the entire pitching staff. Salty on 'Tek's return...

"That would benefit everybody. In the two months I was in Boston, I saw how much trust and respect the pitchers had with 'Tek. That's the guy I want to learn from. If I'm with him, I know I'll be getting all the right information. His presence in the clubhouse is huge."

Invaluable. Varitek should thrive catching every third or fourth game and his knowledge of the opposing teams' hitters is astonishing, all over the American League. Talks of his retirement are premature, to say the least. But let's not forget one important thing. Jarrod Saltalamacchia must prove to Red Sox Nation that he can do the job, both at the plate and behind it. Keep the faith.

Thanks for stopping in today and again I hope you had a great Thanksgiving Thursday. You can click on this post's title for more on the game of baseball and as always, BE WELL. Anyone for a turkey sandwich?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home