Sunday, August 29, 2010

Red Sox (Should Have) Let One Drop

The Boston Red Sox and their starting pitcher, Clay Buchholz, were enjoying a 1-0 lead going into the bottom of the seventh inning when JD Drew had a mind freeze. With Carlos Pena on third base and less than two outs, Matt Joyce skied a foul ball. It kept fading and fading right until JD Drew caught it IN the home bullpen. HE SHOULD HAVE LET IT DROP. Carlos Pena tagged up and scampered home to tie the game at one. If Drew had not made that catch, the batter would have stayed at the plate and Pena would still have been standing on third. Here's the Boston right fielder himself...

“I don’t really know how in the world I caught it. That’s kind of amazing to me. If I tried to make that play in a situation with two outs and the game on the line, I probably would never be able to get to it. For some reason, that thing stuck in my glove. I had every intention of letting it drop. Just instinct, you know. Put the glove out right at the last second as I saw the ball coming down, and it ended up in there. It’s kind of beyond me."

That was the beginning of the end. The Boston Red Sox were beaten in ten innings by a score of 3-2, ruining another superb effort by Clay Buchholz. If you click on this post's title you can see the entire sequence of events Don't forget...it was a huge game but the Boston bats didn't assert themselves. What else is new? Nothing, that's what. It's time to begin the stretch run, NOT play .500 ball. Am I asking too much?

ESPN is televising the game to the nation tonight shortly after 8pm EDT. It'll be Lackey versus Shields to win the series two games to one. The Sox, if that happens, would gain only one game in the wild card race. It's the little things that make all the difference in the world. Miscues doomed Boston last night. It was beauty that killed the beast.

Don't forget to click on that title and check out the play on red sox dot com and as always, BE WELL. I hope your weekend is going well. See ya.

2 Comments:

At 8/29/2010 3:49 PM, Anonymous Red Sox said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8/30/2010 4:57 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

The preceding comment was deleted by me because it was more of an advertisement than a post comment. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home