Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Damon Coming Back? Sox Beat Mariners

I have two things on this morning's plate, NOT including breakfast. Number one is last night's Boston Red Sox victory. John Lackey was great for eight innings and Marco Scutaro swatted two two run singles to power the Boston Red Sox to a 6-3 victory over the Seattle Mariners. The Yankees lost to the Blue Jays so the AL East gap is a little narrower. There's still a long way to go, though. Lackey gave way to Jonathon Papelbon, who earned his 31st save. Lackey said this about Boston's latest shortstop. Hey, he's had a great year while playing through pain...

"He was always a tough out and never gave away at-bats," said Lackey. "For sure, he's a guy that's really stepped up for us."

And the Sox skipper, Terry Francona, had these words...

"I'd say he's gave us stability all year. "We were really excited when we got him."

Marco has stabilized the infield even after the Sox were left without a second baseman or a first baseman. Most teams when faced with this many injuries would fold, spindle and self-mutilate but there's something about these 2010 Sox. They never give up even under the most difficult conditions. Good for them. Tonight, the very unpredictable Josh Beckett will face off against the Mariner's Pauley, who has two wins and four losses. If Beckett can "get back to normal" during the last month of the season the Red Sox's chances of post season play will be greatly enhanced. Hey Josh, start that comeback tonight! OK, on to story number two, one I never expected.

Many of you have probably heard that the Red Sox claimed Johnny Damon off waivers but Damon will have to make the final decision. This is from the Boston Globe's EXTRA BASES. Detroit can...

1. The Tigers can pull him back.

2. The Tigers can make a trade with the Red Sox.

3. The Tigers can let him go for nothing, leaving the Red Sox on the hook for roughly $1.8 million.

I'll take number three, please, with a side of fried rice and a glass of saki. Just kidding but I do have a feeling about this entire scenario. You see, Damon has very mixed feelings about leaving the Motor City. I also do not believe that the Tigers will just jettison him. Option number one looks like the favorite with number two a close runner up. I can't imagine Detroit giving him away. That won't happen. Here's what Johnny thinks...

"It's probably as tough of a decision for me to make right now as it was for me to leave Boston for New York. It's something that, fortunately, we have some time to think about. At this moment, I'm not sure I want to leave Detroit for that. I enjoy playing here. I enjoy the kids I'm playing for, the coaching staff. But obviously, Terry Francona is amazing. But it's something that I'm going to have think long and hard over. The only reason why I would be considering it is to help out this team in the future."

As the song goes, "que sera sera, what will be will be." If Damon wants another ring, his best chance is with Boston and surely the Red Sox can use another outfielder to replace the injured bodies. Only time will tell. Until then, whenever that will be, click on this post's title for a very entertaining article on this very subject. I'll stay on to of this situation. Hey, thanks for stopping well and as always, BE WELL. I'll see you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home