Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Red Sox Spiraling In The Wrong Direction Going Into All Star Break

Tuesday night down in Florida, the Red Sox had another injury scare, this time with Kevin Youkilis. But the injury to his ankle was deemed not to be serious. Phew! By the way, Boston lost to Tampa Bay by a score of 3-2. A tough loss. In other injury news, and unfortunately, there is plenty of it, Josh Beckett felt great, using all of his pitches yesterday in a simulated game. Here's the blub from the Boston Globe's Extra Bases...
***************
Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff July 6, 2010 05:17 PM

"Just spoke to Josh Beckett, who said he felt great on the mound today.
"I had good stuff today, that's what we're trying to get to," he said. "I think we're in a good spot now."
As for his back, "I don't feel anything any more. The time off did what it was supposed to do."
The plan is for him to make two more rehab starts. The first would be Sunday at Pawtucket. If Beckett starts again July 16, his first game back with the Sox could be as early as July 21 in Oakland."
***************
That's only two weeks away! Now that's great news. Maybe the title of my yesterday's post WILL come true. I sure hope it does. Bye Daisuke, hello Josh.

But the injuries continue. After Youk had to leave the game, the Rays walked Big Papi four times because Youk was not batting behind him. Needless to say, Niuman Romero, who took Youk's place in the lineup, failed to advance a runner all night. HELLO NIUMAN. With Kevin, yeah, it would have been different. Youk will be back very soon, if not tonight. Count on it. Here's Papi on the injury bug turned into an epidemic...

“I’ve been playing this game for so long. I have never seen anything like this,’’ David Ortiz said after the Sox lost their third straight. “We go through injuries every year but what I’m seeing right now is just like a curse.’’

I've never seen anything like this either, not at one time. We have to try and stay close in the AL East until some or all of the players return. Then we have to burn the league with talent and smart baseball. At full strength, we have the talent, power and team will to do just that.

I must leave you now for a Doctor's appointment, a routine check up. I'll be back later. Thanks for popping in.

3 Comments:

At 7/07/2010 12:49 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I don't the bullpen is the answer for Daisuke. Have you seen his 1st inning ERA?

He'll probably have a minor "back pain" and go on the DL to make room for Josh. Maybe then the pitching coach can change his pre-game routine - try a couple innings of simulated game - change that 1st inning crappiness to happiness.

 
At 7/08/2010 5:22 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

If he was in the 'pen, it would be a disaster! I was making that whole first paragraph up...except for the return of Josh. I'd rather have him (Daisuke) in the bullpen to come into games when the Sox are getting blown out, maybe.

BFW, the last couple days I've had 16-19 hits on my blog. That's it! Is it time to hang up my cleats? I just don't know. Your opinion as an everyday reader, a dwindling few, please?

 
At 7/08/2010 10:24 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Aw Pete, you gotta know how I feel. You've become a daily habit with me after all these years because I still find you fun to read & chat with, when I do chat.

If you stopped this blog, would you have to enter therapy?:) Do what feels right for you & of course I'll support your decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home