Saturday, July 03, 2010

Boston's Wakefield Makes Quick Work Of The Orioles

Two hours and seven minutes. That's all it took to complete the Boston victory. The Boston Red Sox defeated the woeful Baltimore Orioles by a score of 3-2. Wakefield needed only 96 pitches in his eight innings before Jonathon Papelbon threw a goose egg ninth. He allowed two earned runs, walked one and whiffed four. Not bad for an "old" man. Here's Timmy...

“I felt fresh even after eight innings,” Wakefield said. “I was ready to go the ninth and maybe even the 10th if necessary. But Nava got the bloop single and we were able to push a run across and hand the game over to Paps. I like to pitch fast, I like to work fast,” he said. “Their guy (Brad Bergesen) that started tonight was working extremely fast, too. So the pace of game was great for both sides.”

And his (and the staff's) catcher, Kevin Cash, had this to say...

“I think we threw two breaking balls and two fastballs, and everything else was knuckleballs,” Cash said. “I’ve said it every time I’ve caught him. If Wake gets ahead of a hitter, he’s going to have a good night.”

And get ahead he did, consistently. Daniel Nava drove in the winning run and that brought on Paps for the one inning save. Coupled with the YANKEES LOSS, the Red Sox are just one half game back of the pinstripers. They are bonding together as a team despite the injury epidemic. Here is Kevin Youkilis on that very subject...

“I know I’m not going to roll over in bed because some guys are hurt,’’ first baseman Kevin Youkilis said. “We have a lot of guys who want to play and keep playing and we have guys who are hungry to come in and play well. You have to go out there and play hard and good things will happen.’’

I'm proud of this 2010 version of the Boston Red Sox and I can't wait until they're back at full strength. Tonight, another game at Camden Yards, with Lester (9-3) vs. Guthrie (3-9). I like our chances and if the Yankees lose, well, you do the math. Some things are best left unsaid until they happen.

At 9am EDT this morning I'll be watching the Wimbledon women's final and I'll be rooting for Serena Williams. Have a great Saturday and a wonderful 4th of July. Click on this post's title for more Sox news from last night and as always, BE WELL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home