Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm Back...Injury Bug Continues To Feast On Boston Red Sox But They Defeat Giants

There's a ton of news concerning the Boston Red Sox, including the latest about Pedey Pedroia. It's not good. First, I'll tell you why I missed my Sunday morning post. I was in the hospital Saturday afternoon until Sunday morning, I had REALLY low blood sugar (type 1 diabetes) Saturday afternoon and 911 had to revive me. I'm OK now. Type 1 diabetes really sucks. 'Nuff about that. It was announced that Pedroia has a broken bone in his foot and is on the DL indefinity. And Victor Martinez broke his thumb on a foul ball (two of them, actually). Jason Varitek will return to the starting lineup. Who will back him up? Who knows. Lastly on the injury front, Clay Buchholz has a slight hamstring pull, not a knee injury. With two days off this week (thank goodness), he won't miss more than one or two starts, probably just one. Thank you schedule.

Now the good news. The Boston Red Sox defeated the SF Giants by a score of 5-1, fueled by a complete game one run five hit nine strike out performance by Mr. Lester. He was tremendous. Big Papi hit a tater into the Bay, something he has always wanted to do. To say he got all of it would be exactly right. Red Sox skipper Tito Francona had this to say about Jon's nine inning effort...

“We needed that. We talked before the game about being a little beat up, but when your pitching’s not, you always give yourself a chance. He threw strikes all day. He used all his pitches. I don’t think he had an inning over 17 pitches. He was efficient all day, and gave us exactly what we needed.’’

Here's Jon Lester on pitching the complete game...

“It’s obviously nice to do that, but I’m just trying to go out there and execute pitches. It’s obviously nice to save the bullpen a little bit. We’re going to fight. We’re not going to just lay down and let everybody beat us up. Obviously we’re going to go out there and battle, and hopefully we can put some games in the win column. We’ve been able to do that. Whatever happens with Vic (Victor Martinez), or whatever happens in the future here, guys that are going to come in are going to do the same thing.’’

The power of positive thinking is a powerful tool, indeed. Well said Jon and congratulations on a great job yesterday. Boston has a day off today before starting a two game series with the Tampa Bay Rays. They stand only two games back of the pinstripers and one ahead of the Rays. Not bad for a team decimated by injuries. You can click on this post's title for more Sox news and as always, BE WELL. Thanks. It's nice to be back. REALLY nice.

5 Comments:

At 6/28/2010 8:07 AM, Blogger saltyflytyer said...

Hey- take care of your diabetes and carry some glucose pills....I do.

 
At 6/28/2010 11:36 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I do, too...all the time. This one took me by surprise

 
At 6/28/2010 12:24 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Oh my gosh Pete, that had to be scary. I'm glad you're ok now.

When my blood sugar gets below 80, I start feeling all hinky & I gobble those glucose tabs. It's tough to regulate your insulin sometimes; I know you're usually on top of it. So hang in there; we're concerned. We care.

 
At 6/29/2010 6:43 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi BFW...this one took me by surprise but since then, I'm great. I upped my presription at the pharmacy for 200 test strips every month so that I can take my sugar every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I feel better that way. As it was, I took it every 3. It's better to be safe than sorry.

BOTH OF YOU, thank you. I mean it!

 
At 6/30/2010 5:31 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home