Thursday, May 13, 2010

Two Red Sox Runs Just Not Enough

Substitute Boston Red Sox starter Timmy Wakefield, in for the hurting Josh Beckett, spun a seven inning beauty, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits, whiffing five and walking only one. Unfortunately, he picked an afternoon that his offense could only score 2 ninth inning runs. Umpire Dale Scott made a couple baffling ball/strike calls in that final frame, most notably calling a pitch to David Ortiz that was at least 6 inches off the plate a strike. Big Papi, who was protecting the plate at this important juncture, was not pleased. I'm putting that nicely. He stuck his bat out to show the blind ump just how outside the pitch was (you can see that exact moment when you click on this post's title-see below). Black clad Dale Scott made an utter fool of himself bigtime. Papi had this to say after his shower. The shower wasn't the only thing that was steaming...

“I’m too mad right now. I’m too fucking pissed off right now. Just write down whatever you guys want."

I don't blame David one iota. I watched his at bat and was dumbfounded, to say the least, at Scott's call. Was he in a hurry to catch a plane? Wakes said this about his stellar performance...

“I thought I pitched pretty well, made one mistake to Snider, and it cost us the game,’’ Wakefield said.

You are too modest, Wakes. Timmy looked great. He recorded his 2000th strikeout of his career during the game, a feat only 64 other pitchers have EVER done, AL and NL. He said this after the game...

“I’m very proud of that,” Wakefield said. “It’s a tribute to longevity and I feel very blessed. I’ve been able to wear this uniform for a long time and I’ve been able to accomplish 2,000 strikeouts.”

And as for the fan reaction...

“It’s phenomenal,” he said. “The fans have been behind me the whole time I’ve been here. I’m very proud to be able to come out and not only get an ovation for that accomplishment or for a great start like my last one. They acknowledge great work and I’m honored to be able to tip my cap to them.”

Here's the Red Sox skipper, Terry Francona, on his knuckleball pitcher...

“He had a good knuckleball and he threw strikes. There wasn’t a whole lot of base runners because of the way he was pitching, but he was quick to the plate. He kept the game in check. If we’re scoring, that’s a really good outing.’’

Boston has the day off today before beginning a three game set IN Detroit. They then go back east for a two game set in New York City before hosting Minnesota, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay at the Fens, tough teams all. Let's hope that Josh Beckett can get healthy and feel better quickly! WE NEED HIM!

My thanks go out to you, the dwindling few, for stopping in today. Remember, you can click on this post's title to be linked to the Boston Herald home page. Read the article about the animated Papi, complete with a great pic. It's right there on the first page, left side.

Do me a favor...BE WELL. Thanks. See ya soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home