Monday, April 19, 2010

The Red Sox Continue Their 2010 Plummet

The Boston Red Sox lost again to the Tampa Bay Rays by a lopsided score of 7-1, dropping their record to 4-8. I saw the following stats in today's Boston Globe and I wanted to pass these horrid numbers over to you. The Sox have lost 4 straight games and their offensive numbers in that span are truly offending. Hold on to your hat. They've had 28 base hits in 138 at bats. That calculates to a batting average of .138. That'll get a team far. Their on base percentage is a miniscule .281 and the most staggering number...they are 0 for 25 with runners in scoring position. Holy you-know-what, Batman! Jason Varitek, the captain, had this to say...

“Not to take anything away from the Rays’ pitching - they have good, quality pitching - but by no means is our offense flying on all cylinders. I think our offense will be better.”

All cylinders? They're running on 2 out of 8 cylinders, if that. 'Tek, it HAS to get better. Yesterday, Jon Lester continued his April doldrums. By the time his 6 innings were finished and he shuffled to the dugout, it was 7-0. Unacceptable. He agrees and here are some of his post-game words...

“I don’t know what I have to do,’’ Lester said. “I just have to be better. That’s all I know. I have to be better. It’s unacceptable. I’m letting the rotation down, I’m letting the bullpen down. Most importantly, I’m letting the team down with how I’m throwing the ball right now. I’ve got to pick it up and kick myself in the ass."

Kick away, Jon. You're right and I hate to say it. Right now the Boston Red Sox are making too many errors, allowing too many unearned runs while not putting any significant numbers up on their half of the scoreboard. I know we're only 12 games into the season but things have to change...FAST!

It's Patriots Day in Boston so the final game of the Rays series will begin at 11am EDT. Here's hoping for a win. John Lackey will be on the mound so I like our chances...if we can plate a few runners. If not, he'll lose 2-1. Let's hope that doesn't happen. You can click on this post's title for more on the Sox and as always, BE WELL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home