Sunday, April 04, 2010

Opening Day 2010...Happy Easter...Women's Final Four

Actually, for the Boston Red Sox, it'll be Opening Night. They will play the NY Yankees tonight at Fenway Park in beautiful downtown Boston. It's also Easter Sunday. Have a happy and healthy holiday. I'm sure we all hope the pinstripers will lay a giant egg when CC Sabathia faces Josh Beckett. Unfortunately, I'll only see bits and pieces of the game because at 9:30ish, the University of Connecticut women Huskies will tangle with Baylor and their 6'8" (!!) center, Brittney Griner, in the second Final Four contest. Brittney, however, is only a freshman and she'll have to go up against Tina Charles, who yesterday was named AP player of the year. Here she is...

"I want to thank all the individuals who pushed me, all the individuals who told me to keep doing it," said a beaming Charles.

Geno Auriemma, the UCONN coach, did most of the pushing. Here HE is..

"I loved her reaction because it was so genuine," Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma said. "Now she's going into this weekend thinking I'm getting recognized for what I've done. For this day to end the way it did for Tina is absolutely perfect," Auriemma said. "No one deserves it more."

He's SO right. Tina is joined by none other than Maya Moore, considered the "other" BEST player in the country. She is, too. Believe it or not, I'm usually asleep by 9:30 but not tonight. No way, no how, impossible, forget about it! It'll be a 4pm nap for this guy. GO UCONN. GO HUSKIES. Two more wins for all the marbles. I LOVE marbles.

On to the Boston Red Sox. I went off on a little tangent there but I love that UCONN team SO much. Boston whupped the Nationals by a score of 6-1 on Saturday. Timmy Wakefield went four innings and only needed 45 pitches to do it...with 35 (!) strikes. His skipper, Terry Francona, had this to say...

"He was in the zone, getting them out."

I hope he'll do that all season long. His back FINALLY feels great. Daisuke Matsuzaka, the big question mark of the pitching staff, was remarkable for the next four innings and the Red Sox dominated the Nats. Let's hope that domination will continue THROUGH October. I have a feeling it just might. Let's see, they won it all in '04 and '07. Three years apart. Add three to 2007 and what do you get? 2010. Here we go.

That's it from me now. It's way too early but once I woke up at 4:30am, I couldn't go back to sleep. So I went downstairs to the kitchen and had breakfast, well before the sun peeked over the horizon. It still hasn't, by the way. Again, I want to wish every one of you a happy and healthy Easter Sunday. Thanks for popping in, click on this post's title for more on the Red Sox and as always, BE WELL. I'll see ya. Soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home