Saturday, January 02, 2010

Thrilling Hockey At Fenway Park

The Boston Bruins and the Philadelphia Flyers played a hockey game yesterday afternoon in Boston. Sound routine? This tilt was ANYTHING BUT because it was held at Fenway Park. The Bruins won on a walk-off overtime goal. The final score was 2-1 Good Guys and when that game-clinching goal went into the net, I was reminded of the sound of a walk-off Boston Red Sox win. It was truly exhilirating. Here is Zdeno Chara of the Bruins on that moment...

"Might as well have been a walk-off home run, when you heard that noise. It's one of those things,'' Chara said, "that you experience once in a lifetime. An overtime goal, and it happened right in front of me. The way they all got up and danced and chanted. When you're playing in front of 35,000, 40,000 fans, it makes a big difference, it's so much bigger, so massive, to hear so much noise is incredible. To experience what the Red Sox experience was awesome.''

It was an exiting spectacle to watch even though I only caught the last period of play. I'm sure glad I did. Fenway never looked better. It'll return to normal in a couple of months with the smell of fresh, manicured grass and the beautiful (sometimes) infield. The reason I said "sometimes" is because some players think that there are uneven spots on the playing surface that cause bad bounces and hops but for us in the stands and watching on NESN, it's always a sight to behold. I can't wait for the spring.

To be truthful, that was the first and probably the last Boston Bruins post I will ever write (unless they win the Cup). But Fenway Park in January was too much for me to resist. I hope your New Years Day was filled with family, fun and food with a little football and a parade or two mixed in. Nadia and I had a quiet holiday here. Yesterday morning, the usually busy roads were isolated and deserted, dead zones. It seemed like a peaceful oasis, albeit a twenty degree one. The snow fell softly and the wind was light, making it much more bearable than the days before.

As always, BE WELL. It's been a while since there was any hard Red Sox news, but I'll be here to bring it to you. I'll be seeing you. Thanks for stopping in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home