Thursday, January 14, 2010

Amalie Benjamin Illuminates Red Sox Pitcher John Lackey.

I came across an article written by the Boston Globe's Amalie Benjamin. By the way, she's great! Her subject was none other than the newest member of the Boston Red Sox starting rotation, John Lackey. He seems to be a football player at heart but when he steps on that mound, watch out. His agent, Steve Hilliard, had this to say...

“When you’re with John off the field, the dichotomy strikes you right away,’’ Hilliard says. “He is very laid-back, very relaxed. You don’t get this sense that he’s wired really tight, a super intense guy. But when he puts the uniform on and walks out on the field, it’s a 180-degree swing. He becomes the most intense competitor.’

That's the kind of pitcher the Red Sox want and need. That's why they spent the big bucks. My goodness, a starting rotation of Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Buchholz, Matsuzaka and occasionally, Timmy Wakefield should be awesome. And here's the man himself, John Lackey...

“When I first broke into the league, Tim Salmon told me that I shouldn’t talk to hitters ’cause the more comfortable they are with you, the more comfortable they are in the box. I mean, don’t get me wrong, if we went to my house and played some pool or something, I’m going to want to win,’’ Lackey says. “But I’m definitely pretty laid-back off the field. But every fifth day - ask the guys that played with me - I’m probably not the nicest person in the world. I’m ready to get after it. I’m there to win. I’m not there to mess around, for sure. When you’re competing, you’re competing. I’m not there to be your friend at that time. I’m not a big fan of talking to other team’s hitters."

He likes to amp up and go out there and put up round numbers (zeros) on the opponent's half of the scoreboard. You know what? I think he's going to do JUST that. Good luck, John.

I hope you have a tremendous Thursday. I'm still getting used to living alone once again and it's a little tough. But I'll be OK. Click on this post's title for more on the Red Sox and as always, BE WELL. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home