Saturday, December 19, 2009

Varitalk From Fenway...Huge Storm Approaches The Northeast (that's us!)

Boston Red Sox captain Jason Varitek took a couple laps around Fenway Park's ice rink with Bobby Orr. Believe me, he's much more at home with a glove on his left hand than skates on his feet, but he made it and answered some questions from the gathered media. He was asked about his new captain's role for the Red Sox...

“Just seeing it in a different role and seeing how my body adapts to maybe the less pounding, the less physical grind, that might be a good time for me to transition,’’ said Varitek, who will turn 38 on April 11. “I’m preparing as I always do, to be able to handle as much as I can. So I’ll prepare for a full-time role even though it’s dictated in another way. That way if something happens, I’m ready to go. I don’t think I’ll change my pride in my work. I don’t think that’s going to change, just the playing time is going to change. Vic’s going to play the majority of the time. For me, I kind of got in that role last year, so I had two months to kind of get used to it.’’

He will be Victor Martinez' backup and play one or two times every week, counseling the pitching staff all season long. This is another reason that the 2010 version of the Boston Red Sox will be better, power bat or no power bat. And if Victor is injured (he won't...please!), who better to step in.

Late this afternoon into early tomorrow afternoon, southern New England will join the states who have been tremendously affected by this Nor'easter type of storm. A nor'easter is a storm that moves up the eastern seaboard and with the right storm track, could and will deliver a ton of snow to the region. In this case, we expect one to two FEET of snow. You can click on this post's title for the very latest USA digital radar images. It takes about 30 seconds to load. When it does, use the blue bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll east (right) and the blue bar at the right side (north-south) of the screen until you can see New England and the middle Atlantic states. If you do it now, you will see what I mean. I love the snow...don't get me wrong, and a big nor'easter on a Sunday is ideal except for the retailers trying to make their bottom lines better during these days before Christmas.

Thanks for stopping in on this "calm before the storm" Saturday post. I wish you the best, click on the title for more Sox stuff and as always, BE WELL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home