Thursday, November 05, 2009

The 2009 World Champion New York Yankees

The New York Yankees won the 2009 World Championship of baseball by defeating the Philadelphia Phillies by a convincing score of 7-3. Hideki Matsui, after driving in six runs last night, was named MVP of the Series, deservedly so. He couldn't even play games 3, 4 and 5 in DH-less Philadelphia but was named nevertheless. He will be a free agent in the off season. Can you see him playing leftfield at Fenway if the Red Sox can't agree to terms with Jason Bay? I can't...his knees probably will require him to be a deluxe DH, a needed requirement for many searching teams. Yankee manager Joe Girardi, through thick and thin (he has his own unique style of managing a baseball team), delivered. With the talent bought by the Steinbrenners, notably Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett, they were clearly the cream of the MLB crop. Here's part of what manager Joe Girardi had to say after game's end...

"I really believe in this club. I've always believed in this organization, the job the Steinbrenner family has done, Cashman and his staff and it's where we wanted to be and the guys did it," Girardi said." "The guys have been through so much," Girardi said, standing on a stage at second base, clutching the championship trophy that will always accompany his name in the record books. "It's unbelieveable how this team came together in spring training. They just kept fighting and fighting and fighting."

I'm a Boston Red Sox fan. I live to hate the Yankees and love the Red Sox. But I tip my hat to them, the 2009 World Champions. They did a great job and it's easy to see why. Great hitting, three superb starting pitchers, a good bullpen (with Chamberlain in it), average outfield defense but excellent infield defense and the best closer in all of major league baseball added up to 100 plus wins in the regular season and a World Series championship. Good for them. They clearly deserved it...that's a no-brainer. For Boston Red Sox fans, there's always 2010.

Just because the 2009 baseball season is officially over does not mean I'm going to take a blog break. I've never done that since I started this blog in November of 2005. God willing, I'll have an every morning post for you, twelve months per year. I love the early morning writing and Boston's hunt for ultimate victory after 162 regular season games and eleven post season victories. I thrive on it, in fact. So please stop back over the daylight-deprived winter months for all the Sox news I can gather. I love to watch the snow falling and accumulating on the frigid earth below while I pound on these keys. So I'll be here and I hope you will be, too. I need you...more than you'll ever know.

As always, BE WELL. I'll see ya soon...that's a promise. Oh, you can click on this post's title for complete game six coverage from SI dot com, the year the Yankees put it all together (it would have been hard NOT too) and won it all. Congratulations New York Yankees, 2009 World Champions.

2 Comments:

At 11/05/2009 10:15 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

CRAP

 
At 11/06/2009 4:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Crap that was easy to see coming. I hate to say it, but they were the best team with Philly coming in second. It was a fun season but it would have been great to have had Daisuke for six months instead of four. With him back next year IN PERFECT CONDITION and Wakes without a disc/sciatic nerve problem, the rotation looks good. What to do about Bay? Oh, woe is us!

Thanks as always, my friend. Your one word comment was worth a thousand, that's for sure. I'll be here through the off season, as I hope you know. You're the best. Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home