Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Red Sox Downtime...Matsuzaka Postseason Rotation Status...Minnesota/Detroit Playoff Game Today

"The waiting is the hardest part," Tom Petty wrote, played and sang oh so many years ago and that still rings true. The Boston Red Sox, American League Wild Card winners, jetted to California to begin the preparations for their Thursday (?) game one contest against the Anaheim California Los Angeles Angels. Boston manager Terry Francona has named his three starters and Daisuke Matsuzaka, who was brilliant in his last three September starts, was not among them. Leading off the series will be the ace of the team (YES, he IS the ace), Jon Lester. He'll be followed by Josh Beckett in the two slot and Clay Buchholz, who was shaky the last half of September, VERY shaky. at number three. Why the Lester/Beckett flip-flop? Let's see what the skipper has to say...

“What it really came down to is the fact that when you look at how our rotation was set up - and Beckett knows we feel this way - because for us to get where we want to go we’re going to have to lean on both of them,’’ manager Terry Francona said

Here's Josh being diplomatic as always. He is very aware of what is best for his team...

“I want to do whatever helps us win,’’ Beckett said after his start Saturday. “That’s the key to the whole postseason is to put yourself in the best possible position to win, whether it be a five-game series or seven-game series. We’ve discussed everything, and I’m OK with whatever they decide to do. That’s Tito's job. I’m glad I don’t have that job.’’

Lester/Beckett, Beckett/Lester, I could give a sh*t as long as both are our games one and two starters. What puzzles me is the selection of Clay Buchholz over Daisuke Matsuzaka. The Halos will probably pick this ALDS series to begin on Thursday. What that means is that a four man rotation might not be needed if Tito wants Lester to come back on short rest for game four. Lester could do that, Beckett probably could not. That was part of Francona's thinking process. I'm sure Daisuke will be the first guy out of the 'pen if Clay falters in any way, or if ANY starter is yanked early. Let's just hope that won't happen. PERIOD.

Don't forget that there is a "for all the marbles" game today at 5pm EDT at the Ugly Minnesota Metrodome. My girlfriend Nadia is from there and I'll STILL call it that. But seriously, it should be a great contest that will be televised on TBS and, better yet, TBS HD. Enjoy...when I think of a one game tiebreaker, I shudder as I think of 1978. More need not be said.

I'll read and respond to any and all of your comments on anything and I'll be back with more pre-series comings and goings first thing in the morning. Thanks for stopping in and as always, BE WELL.

4 Comments:

At 10/06/2009 9:45 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Pete, I read that it's the skankees' choice, not the angels, of which teams will start divisional play Wed or Thur. NYY has one hour after the end of today's game to decide and I think they will pick the Wed start. That will give today's winner very little rest and time to get ready. Also, it makes it possible to pitch C.C. & A.J. twice on normal rest, if necessary.

If that's the case, I think we'll need a fourth starter, if necessary, because Lester won't have enough rest between Thur and Mon. His normal rotation is Thur and Tue. Rather than pitch on one day less rest, I think Tito would hold Lester back for a possible game 5 in LA on Wed. Of course, it all depends on what happens those first three games, i.e. if we sweep, the point is moot.

 
At 10/06/2009 11:18 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

No, both the Yanks AND the Angels can pick their own playoff schedule. That's the way I understand it.

Nadi says hi.

5pm today...a one game playoff. Go Detroit. This will be exciting!! TBS & TBS HD.

 
At 10/06/2009 4:51 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Nah, the ALDS has two schedules - one begins on Wed, the other begins on Thur. Once the AL team with the best record (skanks) picks which schedule it wants, the CAA are stuck with the other schedule(no choice). They both can't play the same schedule.

And a big HI to Nadia!

 
At 10/07/2009 6:54 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

OK, that sounds right, BFW.

Nads and I had an argument last night (no violence, just words, of course) and she packed once again. It seem that she does that once every week. It's a long story, but I love her very much. It's the age difference...she thinks I'm acting too much like a father (hers left her & her Mom at an early age). I'm just trying to keep her happy. She's sleeping right now and I'm writing, so I'll let you know. Pete, so nice to be able to bend your ear (or your eyes) for a bit. Thank you...I mean it. I REALLY do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home