Thursday, July 23, 2009

Red Sox Hitting Woes Continue And Continue And...Texas 3 Boston 1

Six base hits, two by Big Papi David Ortiz, two by Dustin Pedey Pedroia and one each from Jason Varitek and one, a home run, from Nick Green...that was it for the Boston Red Sox Wednesday night. The losing streak has climbed to five and they have lost five games in the standings to the hated pinstripers. The Sox right now are two games back in the AL East with an off day today. They jetted home last night and Pedey Pedroia had this to say about the six game road trip, a 1-5 one.

“We were terrible this road trip,” second baseman Dustin Pedroia said. “I mean we stunk. There’s no way around it. It’s unacceptable. We’ve got to do a better job. We’re not putting anything together,” Pedroia lamented. “When a guy gets on, it’s with two outs. We can’t get that big hit.”

JD Drew had his own dismal assessment...

“For the team, I know it’s been frustrating. It’s just accumulated. A lot of guys haven’t gotten hits.”

And what say you, Tito Francona, who usually hits the nail on the head...

“Unfortunately, from where we stand, it’s the same story it’s been for the last few days,” manager Terry Francona said. “We’re just collectively not putting any runs on the board. We got a Nick Green solo homer, and that’s all we have to show. That’s a hard way to win."

Home cooking and Fenway Park baseball may be all that's needed to stop this July swoon. We have to hope so. Clay Buchholz, who will be in the starting rotation for 10 days or so until Timmy Wakefield's back feels better, was only able to go four innings and threw an incredibly high ninety pitches in that short span. He was doing it with only two pitches...for some reason he did not have a curveball. LITERALLY! I don't understand it but I understand this...Boston had better find their bats or go get some new ones. Geez!

Next up are three games with Oakland and four against the Orioles. Home cooking will never taste so good. I'll have the pitching matchups first thing in the morning. Oh, Julio Lugo is offically gone, traded to the Cardinals for Chris Duncan. May I say, umm, good riddance. There are more trades and deals to come before this festive month of July ends. You can click on the title of this post for more of the sordid details of this five game slide and as always, BE WELL.

We will put Howard Cronkite to rest today so I will close with this. And that's the way it is, Thursday, July 23, 2009. Rest in eternal peace, Mr. Cronkite. You will always be remembered by every one of us on this beautiful blue ball that we call the Earth, our home.

4 Comments:

At 7/23/2009 10:22 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

I am concerned about Drew. I know that Bay will turn it around. Drew has stunk ever since he got to Beantown. There I said it. Except for June 2008. It seems that everytime he's up its a whiff or a walk.Convince me otherwise. I hate to be a downer on Drew but damn.I know its not just him, but he seems to stand out more than the others. We WILL turn it around. The Skanks will be back where they belong...in the rear view. Start with a sweep of the Orioles. GO SOX!!!

 
At 7/23/2009 4:49 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm concerned about ALL the hitting, Phillip. Right now, we're punchless...literally.

Drew was SO clutch last year. Everything (but Clay, who forgets how to throw a curve when he's with the big club?) will be OK. I HOPE.

Thanks again for another great comment. Pete

 
At 7/24/2009 12:59 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

If You have not seen me for awhile, Peter, I'm in the middle of writing a Mystery Novel. I'm on Chapter 6 of 8 Chapters. The Name you see here is my "Nom De Plume", but Michael is still Michael. This is my 1st Novel, steeped in Law Enforcement:

I've heard of no hitting but this is ridiculous.

 
At 7/24/2009 6:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hello to you, Michael. Is that really you? I guess it is. A novel...wow. I can't wait to read it. It's like the Sox are playing with a Wii controller in their hands. Gee, I might use that one..I will!.

Keep in touch, my friend. Thanks...Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home