Friday, July 31, 2009

A Papi-Fueled Red Sox Win But A Permanent Tarnish On His Reputation

Yesterday in a day game at Fenway Park, shortly after the shocking news about Big Papi David Ortiz and his alleged use of an unnamed banned substance, it was Papi to the rescue. He hit a three run tater in the seventh inning that catapulted Boston to a comeback 8-6 victory over the Oakland A's and a four game series split. By the second inning or so, the sell-out Fenway crowd knew something was amiss. The original New York Times report, which you can read in the post just below this one, was the kind of news that travels supersonically throughout all of Red Sox Nation and the baseball world.

Papi was always vocally against the use of performance inhancing drugs of any kind. Remember his words from last February 16? Here they are...

******************
“I know that if I test positive for using any kind of substance, I know that I’m going to disrespect my family, the game, the fans, and everybody, and I don’t want to be facing that situation. So what would I do? I won’t use it . . . you test everybody three, four times a year and that’s about it. You do what you got to do. Yeah, whatever they say. Ban them for a whole year."

******************
He lied to us. HE LIED TO US. Papi talked to the assembled media after the game he helped to win was finished, just hours ago. Here's what he had to say...

******************
"Today I was informed by a reporter that I was on the 2003 list of MLB players to test positive for performance-enhancing substances. This happened right before our game, and the news blindsided me.
"I want to talk about this situation and I will as soon as I have more answers. In the meantime I want to let you know how I am approaching this situation. One, I have already contacted the Players Association to confirm if this report is true. I have just been told that the report is true. Based on the way I have lived my life, I am surprised to learn I tested positive.
"Two, I will find out what I tested positive for. And, three, based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me -- I will not hide and I will not make excuses."

******************
I believe he will hide nothing and "come clean." Let him find out all the details and then let his adoring public know. He has said even HE doesn't know what substance was found. He ventured a guess that it might have been a non-regulated energy drink from the Dominican Republic. POPPY COCK (should that be one word?). As long as he will be forthcoming to his millions of fans, members of Red Sox Nation who called him out for a "curtain call" after his three run blast at the Fens yesterday, that's OK. I hope he will not make up insane excuses such as an "unnamed" Yankee who plays third base did. I don't think he will. I don't want the Boston Red Sox to be known as the Boston 'Roid Sox. That'll never happen.

I linked this post's title to the Boston Globe Red Sox homepage. Everything you need to know about last night's game and all about Papi is right there. Click away!

Boy oh boy, I wish I did not have to write this post in the first place. I am deeply wounded in my heart, a very vulnerable place. As always, BE WELL. Thanks.

3 Comments:

At 7/31/2009 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very painful for all of us, Peter, and it doesn't do anybody any good to try to make excuses for it. Just get it out there and move on. Thanks for being honest with your feelings about it!

 
At 7/31/2009 10:09 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Good words for some bad feelings, Pete.

 
At 7/31/2009 6:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I love Papi more than anyone. He will explain everything...I just know it.

Thanks to both of you. Enjoy the weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home