Monday, July 06, 2009

Eighth Inning Fireworks Ignite The Red Sox...Boston 8 Seattle 4

It took a while Sunday afternoon at Fenway Park but the Boston Red Sox caught two out lightning by scoring five runs on their way to an 8-4 victory over the visiting Seattle Mariners. Big Papi David Ortiz collected two hits and clobbered another home run and his teammates Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury chipped in with three hits and two hits respectively. It seems that Pedey is heating up. He said this after the game ended...

“To be honest with you, the best I’ve swung the bat all year was today,” he said. “It feels like I really haven’t felt good up there more than one time. I have a good at-bat, then the next one’s not so good. But that happens. I’m kind of a streaky hitter. When I get going, you guys have seen what happens. We’ll keep it rolling.”

And here's what leftfielder Jason Bay, like Pedey an All Star starter, had to say...

“For him to go out and have a game like that and then to see us score runs, that’s a coincidence, maybe. But maybe not,” said outfielder Jason Bay in praise of Pedroia’s table-setting abilities. “You get three hits a day from him, that’s going to put us in a pretty good spot. What he did last year was almost otherworldly. It seemed like three or four hits were the norm. He probably hasn’t played his best baseball yet, and that’s scary.”

Scare me, Pedey. Scare the heck out of me all season long. Jon Lester, the victim of a Pedroia error that led to three unearned runs, gave up only one earned run in 6 2/3 innings. Justin Masterson finished that frame and goose egged Seattle in the eighth and Okie finished them off in the ninth. A good day was guaranteed for all.

The Oakland A's, complete with old friend Nomar Garciapara, invade Fenway for a three game series that starts tonight. Here are the pitching matchups. They look darn good to me...

Brett Anderson (4-7, 5.45 ERA) vs. John Smoltz (0-1, 6.00) tonight
Dallas Braden (6-7, 3.13) vs. Josh Beckett (9-3, 3.67) Tuesday
Trevor Cahill (5-7, 4.55) vs. Tim Wakefield (10-3, 4.30) Wednesday

So there you go. All three Fenway Park games will begin shortly after 7:00pm EDT. Do you smell sweep? I hope so. GO SOX!

You can click on this post's title for more on the All Star selections and just about everything Red Sox. I'd love to read and respond to your comments, too. I had a close call with low blood sugar (Type 1 Diabetes) last night but my girlfriend saved the day by giving me Instant Glucose and calling 911. I owe it all to her and I'm still here to bother you with my morning words. EVERY MORNING. She's the best. You are, too.

Enjoy your Monday and as always, BE WELL.

3 Comments:

At 7/08/2009 1:01 AM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

thank god ur ok

 
At 7/08/2009 5:29 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm OK...I don't remember much but Nadia did the right things...call 911 after giving me liquid gooey sugar that comes in a toothpaste-like squeeze tube. She was SO scared she was crying.

Thanks Shay. Miss ya.

 
At 7/14/2009 1:53 AM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

peter i have know you for many years. you are one of the nice people I know. I am glad you have some to make you happy. seams all my friends are finding people. cant wait till my turn arrive itf its ment to be

 

Post a Comment

<< Home