Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wakefield Hooks And Lands the Marlins...Boston 8 Florida 2...COMCAST ROLLS OUT RED SOX ON DEMAND

Tuesday night at Fenway Park in Boston, the Florida Marlins faced knuckleballer Tim Wakefield for the very first time. And it showed. Timmy struck out the first two Marlins batters on six pitches and from there he had a quick and easy six innings, giving up those two runs on six hits while walking just one and whiffing six. It was his ninth victory so far and his hopes for an invitation to the All Star Game are still alive. Wouldn't that be something! He said this after the game...

“Even though it’s a National League team, you can’t take that team for granted. Very good offensive lineup, like I always say, and the fourth inning made my job a lot easier,” said Wakefield, who is 6-0 at Fenway Park this season. “I lost a little bit of control in the sixth. I almost fell behind. Thank God for the lead. I was able to use my other pitches and not get hurt."

Big Papi David Ortiz looks like he's on his way back from the dumps of his slump. Over the last 13 games, Ortiz is 13-for-41 and has lifted his average from .185 to .210. For the month of June, Ortiz is slugging .606 and has compiled a .395 on-base percentage, numbers commensurate with his best seasons. His swings and timing are improving with every at bat. He was moved up to number five in the batting order and if he keeps bashing the ball to all fields like he has started to, he will return to his very familiar number three position. Here's part of what he had to say after his two hit performance...

“My swing’s all about timing,” said Ortiz, “and trying to start everything early to give me time to see the ball, recognize it and do what I want to do. I feel good.”

Papi, when YOU feel good, all of Red Sox Nation feels good, so keep it up. This team is going real well and things can only get better starting next Thursday, June 25th. That's when John Smoltz will make his first start against the Washington Nationals. Boston will go with a six man rotation until the All Star Game, if not longer. Why not?

In another bit of HUGE Red Sox news, for those of you with Comcast Cable, RED SOX ON DEMAND will be available starting today. It is available on the digital tier. I own a digital Hi-Def cable box, so I'm all set, but anyone with a digital box that can access the On Demand menu will be able to enjoy this new feed. Here's what the Comcast vice presidents had to say about this exciting new on demand service that I'm about to see for the first time, as soon as I finish this post to you. Wait, I just checked to make sure it was there. YES! Just hit the on demand button and then the sports and events category. You'll see the Red Sox channel on that next screen. SWEET! WOW!!

“If there’s one thing that New England wants, it’s more Red Sox,’’ said Steve Hackley, senior vice president of Comcast in greater Boston. “This is better than a channel. It’s a library at your disposal anytime you want. We feel we can provide fans with the kind of Red Sox content that they may have never seen before or may want to see again,’’ said Sam Kennedy, executive vice president of the Red Sox.

I'm going right now to check out the new SOX ON DEMAND channel. Have a great Wednesday Hump Day and as always, BE WELL.

4 Comments:

At 6/17/2009 10:05 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I think somebody is missing the boat by lack of Red Sox coverage outside of New England. I get NESN on DirecTV, but the games are blacked out ... even the replay of the games!

On July 15, HBO has a special on Ted Williams.

 
At 6/17/2009 2:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

They ARE missing the boat...I hope it hasn't sunk, BFW. The on demand channel is SO great.

Thanks for the HBO ews...it will be excellent. The splendid splinter. GO SOX.

 
At 6/17/2009 2:52 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

...news, I meant.

 
At 6/17/2009 6:37 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Wakey is still effective. Last year, I saw Wakey throw 63 Pitches in 8 Innings:

Papi is above the Mendoza Line;

My latest joke is up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home