Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wakefield's Winning Streak Is History As The Angels Double Up The Red Sox 8-4

The Boston Red Sox staked starter Tim Wakefield to a 4-0 lead after two innings but Wake gave that back and more by the time the third frame was over. The final score was 8-4. What was Wake's problem? I'll let him explain it...

“My ball wasn’t moving,” Wakefield said. “It was up. I didn’t have that late depth I usually have. You can’t do that against this team. It’s a barometer of how well I’d been throwing the ball,” said Wakefield. “Tonight was a night when I didn’t have a feel for it and didn’t get outs when I needed them. You can’t do that against a team like this.”

Angel's starter Mattt Palmer was superb...he retired the last nineteen Boston batters. It looked like the Sox would rock him early, but then, well, here's how Boston skipper Terry "Tito" Francona put it...

"We came out swinging really well, and then the switch," said Sox manager Terry Francona. "We went from looking like we were going to get in the bullpen early to nothing. He started throwing his breaking ball for strikes. You could tell by his body language, he was working quick, how good he was feeling. He just stopped us."

Palmer was virtually unhittable for the last two thirds of the game. On the bright side, the Jays also lost so the Red Sox stay just one game behind them. This afternoon at 3:35pm EDT, it'll be Brad Penny facing Ervin Santana. I have a feeling Penny will have a great start...it's just a feeling.

Kevin Youkilis will return in six days and Pedey Pedroia hopes he'll be in there today. THERE'S NO NEED TO RUSH THINGS and risk further injury, not at this early point of the 2009 season. Pedey said this when informed by Tito that he would not be playing...

“We won Tuesday and I understand what they’re thinking,” Pedroia said. “We’ve got to look at the big picture. It’s getting better. I haven’t done much running or anything like that. I took some BP and it felt fine. It won’t be an issue. We’ll take care of it.”

Thank you for stopping in and hopefully the Sox will end this one game losing streak and travel north to Seattle on a victorious note, smiles abounding. Click on this post's title for more Sox news and as always, BE WELL. On a personal note, Nadia had a safe trip back to Minnesota. I miss her already.

Hey, I'll see you...everyday in everyway. GO SOX.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home