Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Varitek's Ninth Inning Double Wins It For Red Sox...Boston 4 Los Angeles Angels 3

How do you win a game when you're down by a score of 3-1 in the top of the eighth? The Boston Red Sox showed us exactly how Tuesday night in California by scoring two runs in the eighth and the go-ahead winning run in the ninth. It was a classic comeback victory for a team that's missing its two best hitters. Pedey Pedroia was out of the lineup with his strained right groin and the AL's leading slugger, Kevin Youkilis, after testing his strained oblique muscle in batting practice, was placed on the 15 day DL retroactive to May 15. He'll be eligible to return one week from today...May 20th. But it was the Captain who won it. J.D. Drew began the ninth with a single to left field off Scot Shields and one out later catcher Jason Varitek, now hitting .239, blasted a gap double to right-center. Red Sox manager Terry Francona had this to say after the game...

"Tek had a real good at-bat, got a breaking ball up, and fortunately for us it got to the wall," manager Terry Francona said. "This is a tough place, and we've been in a lot of close games here. You start seeing that rally monkey jumping around, not too many times good things happen. We had the lead when we needed it at the end. He's getting some balls, he's driving some balls, he's hit some balls to left field," Francona said of Varitek, who had squared to bunt before doubling. "I don't think his batting average is the end-all, be-all for what he's doing here. Sometimes it's when you get a hit. None were bigger than that base hit tonight."

I was watching this. It was late at night and I MAYBE had one eye open but I remember pumping my fist as I muttered a sleepy YES! Then it was back to dreamland, a place where all the socks are red and all the games are wins. I guess that's why it was a dream, but hey, it was in color an in Hi-Def! Boston remains one game in back of first place Toronto, who beat the Yankees last night in a quick game by Roy Halladay.

Tonight, Tim Wakefield will face the 3-0 Matt Palmer in another late game. I don't know if Pedey can play but I certainly hope so. As for Youk, heal. We'll see you in a week. Click on this post's title for a full Boston Herald wrap up of everything Sox and as always, BE WELL.

On a personal note, my girlfriend Nadia left yesterday to go back home to Minnesota. I miss the heck out of her but she WILL be back in June, maybe for the entire summer. SHE'S THE ONE, as Bruce would say. Thanks again for popping in...I'd love to read and respond to all of your comments.

5 Comments:

At 5/13/2009 10:47 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

Great win!!! I went to bed because I have to get up early but I knew the boys would pull it out. Wake will pitch another good one tonight. Sorry about Nadia. Its got to be tough to be away. She will be back before you know it. Take care buddy. GO SOX!!!

 
At 5/13/2009 11:38 AM, Blogger J. Mark English said...

I think Chone Figgins looks like a young Willie Randolph.

http://americanlegends.blogspot.com/

 
At 5/14/2009 5:50 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Phillip. I REALLY missed her yesterday. I guess it's different being alone...but not for long!!! Wake gave up a 4 run lead but he's done well so far. Daisuke will be back in ten days or so, and so will Pedey (today?) and Youk (next week). That'll help.

JME, you're right...there is a resemblance!

Hey, thanks guys. Keep reading and I'll keep writing. Thanks. As Phillip said, GO SOX.

 
At 5/16/2009 9:08 PM, Blogger Collective Thoughts said...

congrats on your g/f

 
At 5/17/2009 7:05 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Shay!! Nice to hear from you.
Hi to Ricky too. Be well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home