Saturday, May 16, 2009

More Left Coast Woes And Lester Ineffectiveness...Seattle 5 Boston 4

The song remained the same Friday night in Seattle for Jon Lester as the Red Sox came up on the short end of a 5-4 score. Two meatballs to Ichiro, a singles hitter, rocketed out of the park. Worse yet, Boston gave up a 4-0 lead after three innings when Lester and Bard surrendered five runs in the fifth and sixth frames. It was ugly all around. You can tell how unhappy Jon Lester was when you read the following words. I've restored the actual wordage of the following quote. Here you go...

"It sucks," Lester said of his season. "I really don't know what to say, other than it's been shitty. I bust my ass every five days to go out and perform and I'm not performing right now. I'm letting the team down. There's no reason that we should not have won that game after four runs in the first three innings. It's just inexcusable. But with that being said I can promise you that there hasn't been a pitcher that has worked harder than I have from the beginning of this season, and there won't be a pitcher for the remainder of the season that will work as hard as I will to get back to where I have been in the past. I don't think we're far. I think it's just little things right now that are screwing up my outings. Hopefully - no, not hopefully - it will turn around. It will turn around here in the future for not only me, but the team."

Turn, turn turn, Jon. He sounded disgusted but hopeful. After a loss such as that, I feel the same way. The Boston Red Sox will stall and falter if their starters do not lower their ERAs...drastically. The bullpen can not carry the team, not without Papi and Youk, who should be back within a week. By the way, Papi sat out Friday night's game after his dismal Thursday night's performance. Don't worry, I have faith that he'll hit himself out of his funk...soon. I almost guarantee it. I love the guy!

Simply click on the title of this post for more on last night's loss and as always, BE WELL. Take care of yourself. It's important! I'll see you...soon.

3 Comments:

At 5/16/2009 9:25 AM, Anonymous Lisa K. said...

We all love him, Peter. Like you, I don't think his days as a force are over, although I don't think we'll see the intimidating Papi of old again...but I don't care. A day without David Ortiz is like a day without sunshine, and I hope he gets himself together and comes back soon.

 
At 5/16/2009 10:39 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Lisa, I know. I love him too. I really do.

 
At 5/17/2009 5:47 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

They won last night, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home