Sunday, February 01, 2009

SUPER SUNDAY With Football And BRUCE

Hello on this Super Sunday, February 1st. As you all know, there will be a football game beginning shortly after 6pm EST. Arizona will be playing the Steelers, who are bidding to become the first team ever to win a sixth world championship. I used to be a Pittsburgh fan in the 70s when their rivalry with the Dallas Cowboys was so intense. Since then, I've drifted away from them and have given my heart to the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics. The Sox are by far number one in my soul...that's why I try to write this blog. But today belongs to football and I'm rooting for Kurt Warner and the Cardinals. I'm always a sucker for the underdog, and that's what they are. Final score? Beware, this comes from my heart...24-14 Cardinals. But the score could easily be reversed. The only sure thing will be a twelve minute party with Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at the half. They'll be playing four songs in rapid succesion. Some of the lyrics and guitar riffs will be altered or deleted to fit that twelve minute "package," but I know he'll knock our socks off.

I'll leave you with a comment on the Boston/Varitek-Boras(s) negotiations, when Boras(s) dropped the ball, so to speak. We're lucky that he doesn't PLAY baseball. This is from the Boston Globe's Bob Ryan...

"Varitek has blindly trusted Boras from the beginning, and things have always worked out in his favor. This time, however, Boras was utterly reckless. Did Boras really think he could hypnotize some club executive into believing Varitek was still a decent hitter? It's been obvious for several weeks that there was no market for Varitek, that if he was going to prolong his major league career, it would have to be in Boston, where people will love him, warts and all.
So there it is. Jason Varitek gets paid far more than he's worth anywhere else. He bats ninth, probably gets pinch hit for a lot, and, if the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, he might even have another three-hit game. But the pitchers are happy, and there's a lot to be said for that."

Wow, Bob, well said. If the pitching staff is happy, I'm happy. It looks like the Red Sox will be going with the catching duo of Varitek and Bard. Let's hope 'Tek can rediscover the power of that piece of wood called a bat in his hands...to hit the baseball where they ain't. Click on the title of this post to access the entire Ryan article. Have a great SUPER SUNDAY and as always, BE WELL. Go Cards...go Bruce. But Bruce and the E Street Band are a sure thing.

6 Comments:

At 2/01/2009 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far be it from me to argue any points with the esteemed Bob Ryan, or the irrepressible Peter N., but please allow me a moment of slight disagreement.

Accepting J.V. and his return, graceless as it is, and proposing the engagement of said catcher in the coming season's lineup and fortune, please note that using Varitek during the season rests in the hands of Curley Francona. And if all the Nation's fans have been paying attention, T.F.'s lineups sometimes stagger one's equalibrium.

I seriously doubt that J.V. will ever bat ninth. Curley has some foggy notion that the 8th and 9th spots in the order are lead-off spots. He also determines the lead-off spot, Numero Uno, requires an extremely fast runner, regardless of how often said sprinter reaches base. Thus, automatic outs, such as the Tek, have near permanent places in T.F.'s batting order around 7th position. Oy Vey.

All that being said, we can only hope that Jacoby Ellsbury has a decent batting average, and 6,7, and 8 hitters do what hitters are best known for...gather hits. A lot of them. So many that even a raving lunatic would not let Varitek hit higher than 9th.

Whew, the efforts we fans have to go through to guide our team to the Glory Finish. Maybe someone will hide Curley's punkin seeds, which will reuire him to seriously think about the game every so often.

 
At 2/01/2009 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops...second thought. Maybe we could DH for Varitek and let the pitchers hit for themselves, Dice-K and Josh are definitely better hitters than the Tek One. Jon and John also. The more I consider this, the more excited I become. What an idea!!!

 
At 2/01/2009 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Just wanted to say Hi and Thanks for the kind words. There will be a part two! It's always nice to hear from a fellow Red Sox fan. Can I make you just sick for a minute... My grandfather was the Globe reporter for the Red Sox's from the 50's to the late 70's. When he died he left me his gold lifetime pass to the reporters box at any game anywhere. I never had the nerve to use it as I was 17 at the time. I gave it to his best buddy to use instead.(he was in his 60's) Boy, how I would like to have it now! I do however have his baseball signed by every member of the team when Babe Ruth was still a member and his personally signed photo of Jack Dempsey.
So, I am pretty cool still. Sort of.
Your blog is great! I admire anyone who can make a game come alive on paper. (computer screen)

 
At 2/01/2009 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to follow! How?

 
At 2/01/2009 5:01 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi JB...thanks for your neverending comments...enjoy the game and the Bruce halftime.

BHW...what wonderful words...you're amazing. Thank you so much...you know how to follow, I think...let me know...I'm here...your post was SO great!

 
At 2/02/2009 6:10 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Jut type in my blog addy...

peteronall.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home