Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Steamer Will Pass The Torch To Paps...Shea Stadium Is History

Boston Red Sox closer Jonathon Papelbon needs only twenty saves this year to surpass Bob "Steamer" Stanley's team record for saves...that number is 132. Here's what the Steamer had to say...

“Records are made to be broken and he’s one of the premier relief pitchers right now,” Stanley said from USA Training Center in Newington, N.H., where he’s a pitching coach. “Did I ever think my record would last that long? No. But people haven’t been sticking around long enough to break it. More power to him.”

Stanley also holds the American League record for single-season relief innings with an unbelievable 168 in 1982. 168? Wow! I'm speechless. Paps knows he will have save number 132 in the middle of this season and become the all time Red Sox saves leader. He has so many years left to go. It seems he's getting better every year. Here's what he had to say, short but sweet...

“I do plan on breaking that. There’s no question about it. It’s definitely in my sights and something I want to do.”

The Steamer also holds the Red Sox record with total appearances with 637...that's also amazing. He said this about that...

“I don’t think anyone will ever catch me in games pitched,” said Stanley, who hurled for the Red Sox from 1977-89. “That’s one thing I’m very proud of. And the innings record, that’s one that’s never going to get broken either, the way the game is now. Those are a couple I’ll have for a while.”

I remember Bob Stanley so well. I saw him countless number of times in those years 1977-89. Please don't remember him from the 1986 World Series with the Mets...his place in Boston history is rock solid. He induced ground balls like Babe Ruth hit home runs...often. More than not, he was effective, very effective, and was a rock in the bullpen. I still can't believe that single season relief inning mark of 168. He must have almost thrown his arm off. But they say a sinkerball pitcher is most effective when pitching often. I guess he did...no, I know he did.

In one other bit of Sox news, Josh Bard will wear uniform number three, the same number that Jimmie Foxx wore. Foxx is said to be the greatest Red Sox player to never have his number retired. Why? It's because he spent the bulk of his career with the Phillies, 11 seasons, in fact. And one other baseball note...Shea Stadium is gone, the final piece being pulverized yesterday. But the memories remain, and they always will. Forever and ever. If you want to see the destruction of the Met's now former home, just go to Michael Leggett's blog. It's called RANDOM FANDOM RED SOX NYC. Just click on this post's title and you'll be there...scroll down to see all the pictures. Mike is a good friend of mine, so please check out his blog. The Shea Stadiun pictures are sad, but you should see them. Hi Mike!

Thank you for stopping in on this rainy, not snowy, Thursday. I appreciate it. You can leave a comment and you can also click on the title of this post. As always, BE WELL.

2 Comments:

At 2/19/2009 12:52 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Hey, Peter!

The Video I've sent, may be used;

It'll be good for an A-Roid Parody or Two;

Be Well!

 
At 2/20/2009 5:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

You be well, too...that's one of my "sign-off post" lines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home