Friday, February 20, 2009

Pedroia Wants To Play All 162 Games

Boston Red Sox second baseman and AL MVP Dustin Pedroia, our Pedey, is one of only eight players in baseball history to have won the Rookie Of the Year award, the AL MVP award, a Gold Glove and a World Series. And he's done that in just two seasons. Pretty amazing, isn't it? But he has his sights set on accomplishing something that only five players did in 2008...to play in all 162 regular season games. Here's how he put it...

"I want to play every game and make sure I'm not tired throughout the year," Pedroia said. "I think if you condition your body the right way, you can do that. It's a long season, but if you take care of your body, you can play them all. It's a big part of what I'm trying to do, is be consistent every day and help this team win games. I did a little bit more running in Arizona," Pedroia said. "I conditioned six days a week, instead of two last year. I want to make sure my legs are even stronger than the year before. It helped me out a ton. It makes my body feel good throughout the whole year. I was a little banged up at that time," Pedroia said. "That was one of those times that I needed a day off. If you need one, Tito is really good about it. He usually knows more than I do, because I'm not going to say I need one."

We all know the Sox manager Terry "Tito" Francona likes to give his players a day off every once in a while so that they can recharge a bit. When he heard that Pedey wanted to play 162, he said this...

"162 what, cribbage games?"

Then he got more serious...

"Sometimes guys need a blow. They get beat up. He's already proven he's going to be out there a lot. Because of the way he plays, he'll take a dive in the hole and land on that shoulder. I think I need to be smart enough to every once in a while pull the plug on him and let him bounce back."

Pedey didn't miss a game until the first week of June last year, but if you ask me, and who would, I'd agree with Tito. Sometimes guys will just need a day off, preferably before an off day. That would make it a two day mini-vacation to rest the sore bones and heal the bumps and bruises a little bit. It makes sense.

Right now down in Fort Myers, it's all quiet on the southern front. JD Drew thought he made his back soreness sound much worse than it is with his quotes to the media. Good news. Big Papi's wrist is doing well and should not hinder him in any way. Mike Lowell is still bitter about the Teixeira quest, but that will fade. I haven't heard a bit about how Beckett is feeling, but in this case, no news is good news, at least without Manny on the team. You'll read all the spring training news right here, with an everyday link to guide you to a source of more Red Sox reading and viewing pleasure.

Thanks for stopping in and have a great Friday and a really great weekend. As usual, God willing, I'll be back here on both Saturday & Sunday, or sooner if any news breaks.. Click on the title for something red and as always, BE WELL. L'chaim...to life. Cheers. See ya. Please leave me a comment or three if you have the time and the desire...I look for new comments multiple times every day, and I respond to every one. Ciao.

12 Comments:

At 2/20/2009 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Twisters. Don't come too close for I and the good wife both have a bug that is laying us low. One whole week and the little bugger is still going strong. Oh well...

Here's a double twister (Peter, I hope you don't mind). just in case the bug invades my fingers and I can't type.

Most consecutive base hits to start a career. By whom and how many?

Only two players in baseball history have won TWO triple crowns...one in each Major League. Who are they? (Bonus points if you can name the years).

Bye all.

 
At 2/20/2009 10:58 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

JB, I disagreed with your last twister answer. The record you were alluding to was Consecutive plate appearances with a hit, which is, as you say, 12.

If you wanted to break the record for Consecutive plate appearances reaching base (unofficial) (includes all possible ways of reaching base: base hit, walk, hit-by-pitch, error, fielder's choice, dropped third strike, catcher's interference and fielder's obstruction) or Consecutive plate appearances reaching base (official) (only includes outcomes that increase on-base percentage: base hit, walk, or hit-by-pitch) the batter would have to have more appearances as the record is 17.

 
At 2/20/2009 11:04 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I know The Splendid Splinter was one of the two-time triple crown winners back in the forties.

 
At 2/20/2009 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wichita, my apologies. I didn't word my twister correctly. Walt Dropo has the record for consecutive base hits in consecutive times at bat with 12. I believe the consecutive times reaching base, via any means, is 16. But who cares, really? My point was that a hitting streak is not broken by non-at bats (walks, HBP, etc), except when a sac fly is scored. That was an attempt to make a base hit, and while it does not count as a time at bat, it still makes no difference, the streak is broken.

And now I've given myself a headache and you confusion and have garnered the enmity of all bloggers. Please be kind...I'm an old guy. I still remember when my favorite Boston team was in the National League. And Hartford was its farm club. And Brooklyn was sacred.

By the way, Ted Williams is correct (1942 and 1947). Who's the other guy?

 
At 2/20/2009 3:41 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

First of all, feel better quickly, JB and Mrs. JB. That's my wish.

I'll take a complete guess...Barry Bonds? I have no faith in that answer, though.

Hello BFW. Great answer with Ted. I knew that but wasn't here to go to my own blog! At least I think it's mine.

Thanks to both of you, have a great weekend and please, please, make that "bug" go away ,JB...just not my way, though.

 
At 2/20/2009 3:58 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

JB, the more of your comments, THE BETTER. Why would I mind?
FEEL BETTER, both of you.

 
At 2/20/2009 3:59 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks, BFW, as always. I think you're my most faithful reader. I'm lucky...do you have 200 friends? Just kiddin'. Pete

 
At 2/20/2009 4:01 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

JB, as for the most consecutive hits to start a career, I do not know and it would be unfair to Google.

 
At 2/20/2009 4:44 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Thanks Pete, and you have a good weekend, too.

I'm not sure of the National League guy, but I think he's old timey (even for you JB) - so I'll guess Mel Ott cuz I always liked him.

Consec hits to start a career - Rocky Colavito with 8 (I don't know).

 
At 2/20/2009 4:55 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks to you, BFW.

 
At 2/20/2009 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaghh. Kaff. Kaff. Ewww. That's how I feel but can't fall asleep. So I checked in with my favorite blog. The Twisters are making serious stabs at the trivia. Can't say how much of the weekend I'll be available, so here's the answers...

Two time Triple Crown winner in the National League= Rogers Hornsby, 1922 and 1925.

Most consecutive base hits to start career= 6, by Ted Cox of the BOSTON RED SOX, in September, 1977. He was an infielder, playing 3rd base for the Sox that fall in 13 games. He was one of the players traded to the Indians when we picked up Dennis Eckersley in 1978.

 
At 2/21/2009 4:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Favorite blog? Wow, thanks. Feel better quickly. We need you back at 100%. Mrs. JB, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home