Friday, January 30, 2009

David Wells Speaks Out About Joe Torre

David Wells sure had a lot to say about his former manager Joe Torre and his new book. His comments are entertaining and downright honest. The original article is in the NY Daily News. Asked what he'd say to Torre about the book, Wells replied...

"I'd probably just knock him out. I probably wouldn't say anything. I'd probably laugh at him. It's easy to say things when you leave."

Maybe some of David's remarks stem from this passage in Torre's book...

"The difference between Kevin Brown and David Wells," Torre says, "is that both make your life miserable, but David Wells meant to."

Wells' clubhouse clashes with his manager were somewhat legendary. He said this about that...

"I wasn't there trying to make Joe's life miserable, I was there trying to win," added Wells, who used the loud music to pump himself up before games. "He fined me for wearing a Babe Ruth hat, that's pretty shallow. I threw the money at him and said, 'Go buy a pair of rims for your car.' Joe called guys out from time to time," Wells said. "He always said you'll never hear anything from him in the media or the papers, and that was BS ... Joe didn't respect a lot of people in my eyes."

When asked about Torre's comments about AROD, or A-FRAUD, as Torre called him, David had this to say...

"If he (AROD) goes out there and he's not playing up to expectations, he's going to hear comments about Joe Torre's book and how he wants to be Derek Jeter. He's going to take a lot of flak for that, and that's going to hurt. He is a sensitive guy, he does care what people say about him. "If it affects him," Wells added, "it's going to hurt the Yankees."

Aw schucks, David. What a terrible thing that would be. Sympathy for the devil, as the Sones wrote and sang? Maybe. I'll link the entire article and you can read it by simply clicking on this post's title. It's easy. Now, on to Varitek.

I was reading Jere's great blog, A RED SOX FAN FROM PINSTRIPE TERRITORY (on my link list, near the top...a must read, everyday), and his latest post mentioned a rumor that suggested that Jason Varitek will refuse Boston's five million dollar offer and hold out for more money from the team. Wow...I was under the impression that 'Tek WANTED to come back to his team, but if he did try to hold out for more cash, that would be the end of his Boston career. Caput, finis, see ya lata, alligatah. Theo would trade a young arm and acquire one of the three twenty-something catchers that I've mentioned in countless earlier posts. 'Tek would be history...instantly, at least Boston history. Been nice knowing you, Jason. That's why I don't think he'd do that. I've been wrong before, but five million (minus 50% divorce money and another 50% Uncle Sam money) is nothing to sneeze at. Well, maybe a little sniffle. If his heart belongs in Boston, he'll come back. It's not up to his agent, Scott Boras(s), it's up to him. We'll see, won't we? And that word should come down late today or Saturday. I'll be on top of it.

Thanks for stopping by, have a great Friday and don't forget to click on the title for the entire Wells article. As always, BE WELL. Stay warm...it's down to five degrees above zero yet again here in north central Connecticut. Brrr.

2 Comments:

At 1/30/2009 1:55 PM, Blogger laura said...

I think he will stay, I agree with you that he must know he can be replaced (not "replaced," but you know what I mean) if he passes on this deal. I guess we will know soon enough!

 
At 1/31/2009 5:08 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And he's back! Hi Laura...hope you are well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home