Friday, December 26, 2008

No Long Term Deal For Youkilis

First baseman Kevin Youkilis will not be offered a long term deal by the Boston Red Sox, not this year. His agent, Joe Bick, had this to say...

"It doesn't look promising," said Bick. "We're going to concentrate our efforts from this point forward on getting a one-year deal done, whether it's negotiated or otherwise," Bick said. "That's where we stand."

Youk will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2010 season, so the Sox had better sign him to a multi-year deal after this season, much like Dustin Pedroia's six year, $40.5 million contract. Youk made $3 million last year...that was a one year deal, too. The club will never take a chance of losing him...he is superb in the field and at the plate. Last year he batted .312 with a team high 29 home runs and 115 RBIs. He said this about the wheeling and dealing...

"I leave it up to Joe with all that stuff," Youkilis said last Thursday. "Both sides come up with offers and try to broker it all out, do all that stuff. They're working on that, and for me, I'm up here in a Boston Red Sox uniform unless I get traded. For me, I don't worry about it. I just know that I have two more years here, unless I get traded. It has to be the right fit for myself, and it's got to be the right fit for the Red Sox, too. It works both ways."

Peter here. Kevin is simply too valuable for the club to trade him. Most likely he'll bat cleanup next season, providing a certain level of protection for the guy in the number three slot, Big Papi David Ortiz. He has an uncanny ability to get his bat on the ball and put it in play. And remember, he was the third place vote getter in the AL MVP race. He hit .312 and led the club with 115 RBIs and 29 home runs. That's fantastic. He has also accepted an offer to play for his country in the World Baseball Classic. When asked about it, he said this...

"For me, it'd be cool to represent my country," Youkilis said. "If they ask me, yeah. Yeah, definitely. I'll play. Cool experience. I've done a lot of great things, and that could be an added thing to put on the plate."

Peter here...I want to stress this...Kevin Youkilis will be a member of the Boston Red Sox for the next half dozen plus years. He means too much to his club for any trade to even be imagined. And that's the way it should be, and will be. Period.

I hope your Christmas was a good one filled with food, family and fun. Many people have the day off today, and we all know that the mall will be full of bargain hunters. I say good for them, but I'm not going anywhere near the mall...parking spaces will be sparse and the crowds overwhelming, and for good reason. To make up for the down economy and sluggish holiday sales, many stores are offering ridiculously huge discounts. Take advantage of them.

Have a wonderful Friday, the day after, and a tremendous weekend. As always, BE WELL...2009 will be here in a matter of days. You can click on the title of this post for more on the Red Sox comings and goings. Ciao. L'chaim. See ya...soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home