Sunday, December 07, 2008

John Lennon...October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980...We Miss You

Good morning on this Monday, December 8th, a day I always dread. John Lennon lost his life, forcibly, 28 years ago today. Here is my post from last year, with a couple minor additions. I'll be back after you read this...
***************
Today marks the 28th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. Here is my open letter to John, who was shot 4 times in the back, severing all the major blood vessels leading to and from his heart. There was nothing the doctors could do on that night 27 years ago, December 8th, 1980. There would be no doctor's chance even if he had been shot in a 2008 trauma room. He was 40 years old. Too young. Far too young.

Dear John. Wow, it's been 28 years. Hard to believe, huh? You were walking into your apartment at the Dakota in New York City when a crazed idiot stepped out behind you, and while you were walking away from him, shot at you five times using a two handed "shooter's" grip, hitting you four times in the back at point blank range with deadly hollow point bullets. I hope you didn't feel much pain, but I know better. When the two policeman put you in their car (an ambulance would have made no difference), the damage was done even if the shooting had happened INSIDE a 21st century trauma room. One of the cops asked you if you knew who you were, and you nodded and sputtered out the word yes, with blood pouring out of your mouth. You suffered and died quickly. In fact, the last word you ever said was YES. When I heard the news of your passing, I said "NO!"

John, oh how you meant so much to me. I was mesmerized by the Beatles music. You gave me so much joy. It was always the music that helped me through my awkward years of 11-16, and some of them were not happy ones. And then in the 70's, at least the first 5 years, your music still flowed, while it seemed everyone clamored for a Beatles reunion. And then in late '79, when your newly born son Sean was a little older and your doting period ended, you came back to your music, music more alive and vibrant than it had been in the past decade. And then THAT night.

It was a Monday, just as today eeriely is. I remember because I was watching
Monday night football, and Howard Cosell said that he had
just learned of a terrible thing, and he announced to
the country, and the world, the few facts known about your violent
death. I cried. I called my parents and friends, and was
stunned. As I write this, I feel exactly the same way. The tears will always be too close.
As they are right now, rolling down my cheeks.

But your music will live forever. You said, in a
song named INSTANT KARMA...
"And we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun.
Yes we all shine on,
On and on and on and on."

When I looked up at the sky tonight, I knew you were right. You were so right about so many things. The world would have been a different place with you, at 68, still demanding peace. Insisting on it. I miss you John. I love you. As you said, "Come together, give peace a chance, all you need is love." We should have listened. We should have listened.

We're still waiting for your voice to shine on. And I'll keep on waiting.
***************
Peter N. I'll never forget you. On and on and on and on. SHINE. Forever. You already are.

8 Comments:

At 12/08/2008 12:35 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I had to comment on this sad date, like I always do. What a horrible feeling that Monday night 28 years ago; it still lingers. I'm thankful for all the gifts we received from John before his voice was silenced. I can't even bring myself to see the movie "Chapter 27" about that vile deranged being that stole from us John's life. The best of John Lennon will always be alive in my memory.

 
At 12/08/2008 1:43 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks SO much...you're always there, and yes, I feel the same way as you do. You know why? Blog friends are FRIENDS forever!!! Thanks, BFW. Peter (that's me)...but you know that.

 
At 12/08/2008 2:18 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

I, too, was watching MNF when I got the news. Sad stuff, shocking.

 
At 12/08/2008 3:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks, Sul...I don't even remember what two teams were playing...honest. Thanks, as always.

 
At 12/08/2008 5:29 PM, Blogger laura said...

I always visit your site on this day, Peter. I of course wasn't born until after John Lennon was killed but I think that makes me wonder even more what a different place this world would be if we were able to have John Lennon still in it. He was such an inspirational person and it says so much that after all this time, we all still mourn and miss the hell out of him.

 
At 12/09/2008 5:18 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Laura. What a great comment. You're SO right. Thank you...Pete

 
At 12/09/2008 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being so shocked, and then so sad, and I still find it hard to believe. I'm five years older now than he was when he died...RIP, John. You wrer one of the greats!

 
At 12/09/2008 7:35 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm older now, too, but I still miss him. Always will. Thanks, MCW. I'm so glad you stopped by. Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home