Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Francona Health Update...World Series Game # 1

Terry "Tito" Francona, manager of the Boston Red Sox, will require back surgery in the next week or so. Here is what he had to say about his situation...

"I haven't been able to feel either arm for four or five months," Francona said. "I need to probably have some back surgery so I can stand a little straighter. I've had this since May. I'll go the next couple of days to get it figured out and then we'll get it done. This job takes an unbelievable amount . . . sometimes almost sucks the life out of you," said Francona, who signed a contract extension through 2011 in February. "I try real hard every winter to make sure when I come to spring training I can do my job because I owe that to the players and to the organization."

Peter here, and I, among many others, think Tito has been the best manager in all of baseball over the last five plus years. He knows how to juggle his lineup, juggle (when needed) his pitching staff and lead his team. HE KNOWS HOW TO WIN! Be well, Terry...we love you. By the way, the Red Sox granted him a contract extension good through 2011. Good for them. GOOD FOR US.

It's mid to late October and we all know what that means. It's World Series time. The Philadelphia Phillies will face the Tampa Bay Rays down in St. Petersburg, Florida. First pitch on FOX and FOX HD will be at 8:35pm EDT. The Phillies' Cole Hamels, a lefty who went 14-10 with a nifty 3.09 ERA will face off against another lefty, Scott Kazmir, who we're all familar with. In the regular season, he went 12-8 with a 3.49 ERA. So the stage is set, the Trop will be packed (it better be!!) and we're ready for baseball. I know, I know, the Red Sox aren't in it, but I'll still watch and try to enjoy while all the "what ifs" dance through my brain. But one thing was clear...Boston was outpitched, JUST BARELY, but outpitched by the Rays, and I pick them to win the Series in six games. The Phillies are a good team and I might be totally wrong, but I think this is Tampa Bay's year...I don't know why, I just do. The DH will favor the Rays in games one and two, and if needed, games six and seven.

Thanks for stopping in, click on the title of this post for all the details of Tito's upcoming surgery, and as always, BE WELL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home