Friday, September 05, 2008

Deep In The Heart Of Texas

The Boston Red Sox made the trip to Arlington, Texas Thursday for their three game set with the Texas Rangers, who have the highest team ERA in all of baseball. It stands at 5.29. The Sox must take advantage of that and put some runs up on the scoreboard. The Yankees lost to the Rays last night so Tampa's lead over Boston is 3 1/2 games. The Red Sox have a six game lead over the Minnesota Twins for the wild card playoff spot and an eight game lead (in the loss column) over the pinstripers. The Blue Jays completed their three game sweep of Minnesota with a 9-0 victory. Thank you, Toronto! So we're in good shape...no September doldrums, please. Here are the pitching matchups for the Rangers series...

TONIGHT - RHP Josh Beckett (11-9, 4.34 ERA) vs. RHP Kevin Millwood (9-7, 4.84). TV - NESN

TOMORROW - RHP Tim Wakefield (8-9, 3.76) vs. LHP Matt Harrison (6-3, 5.73). TV - NESN

SUNDAY - RHP Paul Byrd (10-11, 4.58) vs. RHP Brandon McCarthy (1-0, 2.25). TV - NESN

Of course, tonight's start for Josh Beckett is a big one for him and for the entire team. He will be on a limited pitch count of 50-60 pitches, as he should. Let's hope he can go four strong and then the recently effective bullpen can take over. A big lead at that point wouldn't hurt, either. Expect not only Beckett but Mike Lowell and Sean Casey to return tonight, with a Roberto Colon sighting coming up soon, too. That's a nice restocking of an already strong collection of players. Theo Epstein did well in adding Paul Byrd and Mark Kotsay at the PERFECT time...the Sox are deep everywhere.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend. I'll be here every morning, no matter what, and I'd love to see and respond to any and all of your comments. As always, BE WELL. GO SOX! Oh, you can click on this post's title for the latest Sox news from all corners of Red Sox Nation. One of the articles is titled DUSTIN PEDROIA, THE BEST 105 POUND ATHELETE EVER. He weighs a little more than that, but not much. But he's batting over .600 (!!) in his last six games. Nice!

10 Comments:

At 9/05/2008 10:36 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Roberto Colon?

You know, like I wrote today, I have a bad feeling about tonight's game. Millwood is pitchign so well, I doubt he'll be giving up much, and unless we get his pitch count up, we don't get to feast on their bullpen. Also, with Beckett on a low pitch count, we need to rely on our bullpen, possibly for 4 or more innings.

I hope I'm wrong, but this one might go to Texas.

 
At 9/05/2008 10:36 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9/05/2008 10:36 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

(deleted accidental double post)

 
At 9/05/2008 10:57 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Rooster, hello. I have the opposite feeling...Texas, especially when (not if) we get into their 'pen, will go down! Thank you for your neverending comments. I mean that! Pete

 
At 9/05/2008 11:10 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

I agree, in general, but I'm not sure Millwood is going to let us get to the bullpen.

After Millwood, I think we should be all set. I'm looking at 2 out of three from this series.

Have a great weekend Peter.

Also, I finally got one of the trivia questions right! Of course, very easy one today.

 
At 9/05/2008 11:28 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And...believe it or not, the only question I got wrong was the first one, about Mueller...I hope I spelled Bill's name right. Since then, I'm 4-4. I surprised ME!

 
At 9/05/2008 11:29 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

But I'm easily surprised, just like the Red Sox 8-3 win tonight.

 
At 9/05/2008 9:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Wright said...

Peter,

I sometimes feel guilty for taking advantage of the good information you provide every day on your blog, and failing to tell you how much I appreciate it. Sometimes I just want one little detail and am not in the mood for digging around for it. And there you have it! Thanks, for example, for providing the pitching line-up prior to a series, like today.

At any rate, thanks for all your good work.

Elizabeth

 
At 9/05/2008 9:17 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Wright said...

Peter,

I sometimes feel guilty for taking advantage of the good information you provide every day on your blog, and failing to tell you how much I appreciate it. Sometimes I just want one little detail and am not in the mood for digging around for it. And there you have it! Thanks, for example, for providing the pitching line-up prior to a series, like today.

At any rate, thanks for all your good work.

Elizabeth

 
At 9/06/2008 4:28 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're very welcome, Elizabeth. And you can get the pitchers from the FoxSports widget on the right side of the blog, too. Thank you for the kind words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home