Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bartolo Colon Proves He Can Help Boston Be "Great In 2008"...Red Sox 6 Kansas City 3

The Boston Red Sox got JUST what they needed Wednesday night at Fenway Park as newly acquired veteran Bartolo Colon, three years removed from winning the AL Cy Young Award, pitched five solid innings in a game which the Red Sox won easily by a score of 6-3. It was their sixth win in a row and improved their MLB best record to 30-19. Colon will be our fifth starter for the rest of the year, and, barring injuries, should be able to win 12 plus games. How was he last night? He gave up six hits, two earned runs, walked two and struck out two in a nifty first outing. Here's what his catcher, Jason Varitek, had to say...

“He’s going to help us,” catcher Jason Varitek said. “He threw some good strikes, he elevated the ball sometimes, he did good. I saw some 94 MPH's up there. You’ve got to remember it’s still his first outing. It was a good starting point for building his strength.”

Peter here, and if he progresses with each and every start the way I think he will, Boston got away with a steal, a swipe, a "quick, while no one's paying attention" acquisition that will echo all around the baseball world with each of his victories. The "man" himself was excited. Bartolo had this to say after the game...remember, he is so happy to be pitching for the World Champions. Bartolo, in his own words...

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to get out here and contribute and I'm very happy with the way I pitched today," Colon said through an interpreter. "It felt like my first professional outing, actually. It takes me back to 1997 when as an Indian I won my first game and it was actually here in Fenway Park. I thought about that tonight after the game and reminisced about that great moment."

Peter here, and I'd like to give you, Bartolo, a happy and smilingly huge hello. This team needs you. You need this team. As the famous quote goes, "This might be the start of a beautiful friendship." And so, my Constant Readers, smile, and maybe do a little Paps jig, or whatever makes you happy. I prefer to do a little dancing run-around in the living room while my eyes are glued to the widescreen TV as the pitcher starts his windup. The chances of a fall, a tumble increase slightly for me, but that's OK. I'm still here! But I just wanted to make sure you realize how important last night was to the Red Sox chances of doing anything post-seasonally great in 2008. HMMM, "great in 2008." That's catchy!!

Thanks for stopping in on this Thursday morning, and it's day Fenway baseball today at 1:30pm EDT, Matsuzaka versus Bannister. That should be fun. Seven straight? We can only hope, for it's getaway day, and Boston will be winging west to Oakland as soon as they shower and dress after the game. Safe trip, guys!

Click on the title, if you have time, to be directed to the Boston Herald Red Sox homepage, and enjoy your day. As always, BE WELL.

2 Comments:

At 5/22/2008 12:16 PM, Blogger Rooster said...

We finally got to see the big guy pitch (and he is indeed big), and I like what I saw. This is getting better and better!

 
At 5/23/2008 5:27 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

7 in a row, even though Dice was way off! Let me know when your DVDs come in. It's not released until June 3rd, but we'll see them before then. Thanks Roost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home