Saturday, April 19, 2008

GRAND PAPI POWER

This one was over after the third inning and a rout by the end of the fourth. Big Papi David Ortiz is steadily leaving his early season slump in the dust. He hit a grand salami in the third inning and added another hit and run batted in later in the game. His manager and teammates had this to say, from the Boston Globe. It captures the moment well...

"It's just a matter of time," Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek said. "It was a big lift for him." Following the walks, Ortiz -- hitting just .109 when he came up -- walked slowly to the plate. The crowd, seemingly trying to help get the slugger on track, gave him a standing ovation. On the first pitch, he lofted a fly ball into the Green Monster seats' first row, and was serenaded with chants of "Papi, Papi" when he reached the dugout. "He creates lift in a crowd regardless of whether he has a hit or not," Varitek said. "He's Big Papi for a reason." When Ortiz reached the dugout, his teammates gave him the "silent treatment" before mobbing him."Even though the big boy is struggling, he's still dangerous," Texas manager Ron Washington said."

Peter here, and as soon as Papi hit that ball, I was three feet in the air, landing on my feet. I ALMOST forgot that I was sitting down in front of the television just as I started my jump, so I aborted my takeoff and gained my footing before the launch sequence began again. It was a short, VERY short countdown until take off, believe me. The landing was uneventful and all chutes deployed successfully. And the Boston Red Sox, at home in the confines of their own Friendly Fenway, were ahead to stay.

Peter here, back from a daydream that had something to do with a rocket pack on my back and a Superman-like ability to fly. Ok...Papi's two hits and 5 runs batted in propelled the Boston Red Sox to an 11-2 victory over the visiting Texas Rangers. The Sox have now won six of seven ballgames and are sitting in first place, just where we want them to be. Daisuke Matsuzaka was good enough, going 5 1/3 innings (he's got to at least go 7, but it was a rout) and giving up 3 runs and 5 hits with two walks and 5 strikeouts thrown in. The bullpen was nearly perfect, with Lopez and Timlin unscored upon and Double A Aardasma giving up a pair of runs. But they got the job done, and the World Champions roll on. Red Sox Nation and Red Sox International are a very happy bunch of Sox fans.

The Red Sox are now two games in front of the Yankees as their young pitcher, Phil Hughes, was battered again, although he started out well. The A's then went on to score 7 runs in the sixth inning, further supporting my opinion that the New York rotation will only carry them to a .500 record. That's how it would be if the Yankees stand pat. When have we EVER known them to do that?

Click on the title of this post to be linked to the Boston Globe's Sox home page. You'll find anything and everything you want or need about a wonderful Friday night in a ballpark called Fenway. I call it home. Have a great weekend, and as always, BE WELL. GO SOX...today at 7:05 pm EDT, the only remaining night game in this four game series. A win today? Sweet. You, my readers? JUST as sweet. Thanks for stopping in.

4 Comments:

At 4/19/2008 8:39 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

I'm with you, Peter. I think they heard my grand slam scream a block away last night. Thank goodness! I was dying when he came up to bat with the bases loaded. Bet Papi slept well last night.

Are we lucky with the news guys or what? Lowrie is amazing so far. Casey's still hitting. We are blessed. Good write-up, Peter. You always say it right.

 
At 4/20/2008 3:27 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

And, Peter, I'll be at the 1:35PM Game, today, looking for a Manny Dinger or 2:

Even one from Papi!

 
At 4/20/2008 7:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike, wow, have a great time! You missed a Manny game-tying tater last night, but you picked a PERFECT weather day to visit Fenway. Have fun and be safe! Go Timmy!!!!!

Keith, you scream, jump and celebrate like I do. Neighbors beware!!! How about Manny's 8th inning BASH last (Sat.) night. Holy sh*t! Thank you so much for the kind words. I just listen to that little voice in my left ear, and writing is easy. But when the Sox are the subject matter, it's easy!.

THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH...Pete

 
At 4/20/2008 7:04 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I meant "easier," but it's early morning. So sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home