Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Daisuke Matsuzaka Completes A Magic And Classic Fenway Tuesday, An Unforgettable Day For All

After the emotional Red Sox Opening Day ceremonies, complete with a tearful but happy Billy Buckner, Daisuke Matsuzaka, who was warming up in the bullpen during the festivites and found a World Series ring in his locker, capped a magic day with yet another powerful and commanding performance. The Boston Red Sox beat the reeling Detroit Tigers by a score of 5-0. He went 6 2/3 innings, allowing no runs, four hits and four free passes. He had control of every one of his pitches, at least the pitches we've seen him throw in his year plus here in the States. Little Manny Delcarmen and Hideki Okajima combined for 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief and the crowd went home happy, voices strained and faces a little tear-stained. Tears of joy are a GOOD thing. Tito Francona had this to say about his starter...

"I thought he did a good job addressing the task at hand, 'cause there was a lot of stuff going on," said Sox manager Terry Francona."

Kevin Youkilis led the twelve hit parade with three safeties. Lugo contributed two without commiting an error and Jason Varitek another two. And from start to finish, Tuesday at Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts was a very special, magical and wonderful, awe inspiring afternoon. Great job Red Sox front office for putting the whole thing together. I watched it on NESN HD and had tears in my eyes even BEFORE Billy Buck walked in from the outfield, tears in HIS eyes, also. He's made his peace with Red Sox Nation, and the feeling is mutual. He received an ovation unlike any I've heard in a long time. Just before that, when our very own Johnny Pesky hoisted the 2007 World Championship flag, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Special moments for a very special team. Their name? The Boston Red Sox. Boy, do I love 'em!

Click on the title of this post for the Boston Globe's complete wrap-up of that very special afternoon, a day I'll remember for the rest of my life. Oh, I want to thank you for stopping here yesterday. You're back! When I say that, EVERYBODY came back and the "hit count" was through the roof. I knew it would, sooner or later, but from the lean and sad times through the euphoric dream times, I'll be here. I'll never leave. At least I'll do my best. Have a wonderful hump day Wednesday as we slide towards yet another weekend, and always remember, NEVER forget, BE WELL. GO SOX. FOREVER.

7 Comments:

At 4/09/2008 7:58 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

You're so right: it was a great day, Peter. And what a relief to see our guys win. I will eat my words: Matsuzaka and Drew are okay. There, I said it. Also nice to see Coco and Julio come back to life.

I'm feeling downright sad for the Tigers, but I hope we sweep them anyway. Can't wait for the next game.

 
At 4/09/2008 10:04 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Let's hope the Tigers get hot AFTER they leave Fenway. They are due, actually they are overdue.

Nice job Peter - Buckner never should have been so hated for all those years - he was a small part of that collapse, a very small part. I know it took a lot out of his life and Sox Fans, but mostly the media, sure owe that back to him.

 
At 4/09/2008 10:19 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Rooster, you're SO right. And they showed him quite the apology. He said in that linked article that he almost decided NOT to be there. I'm so glad and happy that he was!!

And Keith, I'll feel sorry for the Tigers AFTER they leave, maybe even after our final visit to the Motor City.

THANKS GUYS! GO SOX, and go Jon.

 
At 4/09/2008 3:11 PM, Blogger DPS said...

I got to watch on MLB.tv and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not get to see the opening day festivities in '05, so I'm thrilled that I didn't miss this one.

GO SOX!!!

 
At 4/09/2008 4:04 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

I found some videos and you were right--it was amazing!

Dice-K was awesome, and I'm sure that Lester will be, too.

In addition to your "hit count" being through the roof, so was the Sox's as we dominated offensively yesterday!
So that means if everyone keeps visiting your site, we'll be practically unstoppable!
:)

 
At 4/09/2008 10:46 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

hi all just wanted to let you all know that i am hanging in there :P

 
At 4/10/2008 6:12 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Brittany, he didn't! The Lester of old, and that's what I wrote about this Thurday morning. Thanks for your always kind words.

SPECIAL FRIEND Kaylee, I'm so happy to hear from you. I hope things are getting better. Part of me knows the answer would be no, but the part of me where my heart is knows that you're going to beat this. My prayers are with you every night before sleep. I promise you that. There are many of us out here in blogdom who love you. Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home