Monday, April 28, 2008

Bewildered Bats Baffled...Boston Beckons

Click those ruby red slippers together. It's time to go home. After twenty games in twenty days, the Boston Red Sox, who lost yesterday to the Tampa Bay Rays by a score of 3-0, have gone home to Massachusetts and will enjoy an actual day off today (Monday). A rested Josh Beckett pitched well enough to win, but the Boston bats were impatient and Ray pitcher James Shield shut them down completely. Beckett was strong over seven innings, striking out thirteen enemy batters, but his teammates could not pick him up. The Sox have wasted two straight stellar outings by their starters. A frustrated Beckett had this to say to the schedule makers. Clearly he was bothered by the fact that he was the second-best pitcher on the field...

"They make schedules like this and it's not like it's just 20 in a row," Beckett said. "We play 8 o'clock getaway games. There's not enough bitching and moaning going on to get it changed. I don't know what we need to do to get it changed.
"That's what strings guys out. It's tough playing 20 in a row anyway. Now you're getting Sunday night baseball here, Sunday night baseball there. You start at 8 o'clock, you're getting home at 4-5 in the morning and right back out the next day."

Peter here. Boston collected only two base hits, and it seems that they couldn't wait to swing and get this game over with. And it WAS a quick game - two hours and twenty five minutes. Mercifully so, by the way.

So the team arrived in Boston last night and hopefully are now sleeping in their very own beds. But they've lost five games in a row. Still, they're close to first place and if the bullpen allows, they'll be fine. The starters are all, for the most part, doing well. Rest will cure most of their ills, but David Ortiz, who didn't play on Sunday, bruised his right knee, the same one that was surgically repaired in the off season. He should be able to play Tuesday.

Enjoy the off day today. Click on the title for the latest from the Boston Globe Red Sox homepage. I'm sorry that this post, the first of a new week, is so short, but I'm just not motivated to write more today. It's easier after a Sox win and also when it's not a Monday. And the readership was down to 37 clicks, a first for a Sunday when the Sox play. So I guess you can find what you need elsewhere. I'm not a quitter, but it's tough. As always, be safe. Have a great Monday. Your comments have ALWAYS been welcome, and will always be answered.

10 Comments:

At 4/28/2008 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Monday, Peter!

Readership ebbs and flows. Some of us would be lonely if you weren't here! You're part of our community!

 
At 4/28/2008 7:34 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

It was an early game, we lost, and then we didn't have the heart to click on any Red Sox sites. Hey Peter, I don't even read other baseball blogs anymore. Just yours. You say it so well, I don't need the other guys.

Disheartening game but we've got the whole rest of the season. With the new guys and some great pitchers, I'm sure we'll beat the other teams to the front of the pack. Let's all -- you too, Peter -- have a great day of rest and meet here again tomorrow.

 
At 4/28/2008 9:23 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Hang in there Peter - fans are not emotionally ready for a losing streak this early in the season.

 
At 4/28/2008 10:02 AM, Blogger DPS said...

Still here, Peter. Yesterday was painful. I didn't watch Sports Center, Baseball Tonight, and I haven't posted to my blog yet (which, by the way, would be at an all time high with 37 clicks!)

Keep on keepin' on.

 
At 4/28/2008 12:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Peter. It's Walter saying I know the feeling of seeing too few hits and too little readership. But rest assured I at least read your headlines and intros every day on Baseball Nooz. It's a long season full of ups and downs, so hang in there. For me, guess what? I just ordered tickets to Fenway Park for my first visit ever on September 10. That's a long way away, but I am so looking forward to my first-ever trip to Boston. In the meantime, keep up the great blogging work. Your friend,
Walter
P.S. When you get a minute, check out Boston players on our cool Mashup pages.

 
At 4/28/2008 12:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Wow, thank you all. I feel a bit foolish, but you made me smile. How does that song go? I remember. "Rainy days and Mondays always bring me down."

We're having both, but YOU'RE THE BEST...and I'm not going anywhere. Thank you so much. Now GO SOX.

 
At 4/28/2008 12:35 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Whew, I'm just glad to have a day without a loss. Josh shouldn't do interviews after he experiences a tough loss. I'm sure he had his teammates' back, but it sure came off sounding like he was making excuses. If those 8 o'clock starts disrupts players' routines and they're all strung out, I'll gladly trade jobs with anyone having a problem with that. Then they can have nice steady hours and sleep in their warm cozy bed every night and I'll "suffer" in their place.

 
At 4/28/2008 12:57 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, and everyone, it IS nice to have a day off, and also to have a great, fantastic bunch of friends. Thanks, Peter (that's me).

 
At 4/28/2008 1:54 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Peter:

Do you have XM radio? I just got it. Baseball wall-to-wall. You can read about it at my place - NOT a paid testimonial, by the way, but just a hearty endorsement.

Jim

 
At 4/29/2008 5:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sul, I have Sirius so that I can listen to Howard. Soon the two companies should merge-the government, for some strange reason, has been slow to OK the merger, something BOTH companies want. I'll read your post right after I write mine about....about......I have no clue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home