Friday, April 04, 2008

Bartolo Colon Razor Sharp

What the Boston Red Sox need more than anything is good starting pitching, and yesterday in Pawtucket, newly aquired Bartolo Colon gave the team a huge shot in the arm. With Clay Buchholz looking like he's not quite "ready for prime time," the fifth spot in the rotation is wide open. Yesterday Colon pitched five scoreless innings while facing only one batter over the minimum. He allowed a lone hit and one walk and struck out five. Of his 74 pitches, 45 were strikes. He had this to say after his stunning performance...

"I felt very good," Colon said through interpreter Cookie Rojas, Pawtucket's general sales manager. "I felt like I had control of the ball. I pitched very well today. All I know is that I'll be pitching again in five days."

Peter here, and yes you did, and yes you will, Bartolo. We are going to need you. BIGTIME. Clay's future is in front of him. The team needs a solid fifth starter to be able to compete in the American League. NOW. Let's hope Colon comes through. Who knows, after a successful 2008 season he might even learn English!

Click on the title of this post for an article from the Boston Globe that chronicles this amazing outing. And to everybody, have a great weekend, and as always, be well.

11 Comments:

At 4/04/2008 9:50 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Peter - I've been pumped about the potential Colon brings all spring. As I've been saying - if he's healthy and sharp, he could be the difference maker and fill the (large) void left by Shilling. And if Schilling can come back later in the season - how about that rotation (make your own order up) - Beckett, Schilling, Dice-K, Colon, Lester/Wakefield. Not too shabby!

I had some fun with the Hawk story today - hope I piss off a few pinstriped fans!

 
At 4/04/2008 10:01 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hey to you. In the Hartford Courant they ran a pic at the exact moment the hawk attacked, protecting her egg. And I cannot count on Schill, but it's so nice to know that Colon is just getting better and better. Be well and have a great weekend.
Caroline sent me an email about that new Sox internet site, but I'm so busy I have my hands full with just my blog. But she's GREAT! As are you. Later....

 
At 4/04/2008 10:11 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Andre Dawson attacked a school girl at Fenway yesterday?

 
At 4/04/2008 11:15 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

BFW - I read your comment, and went - huh? Then I read it again and cracked up - good one - the delayed reaction made it funnier! Actually, that would make a funny fake news story - kind of a Rosanne Rosannadana story from the old SNL days.

Peter - I joined the Sox site Caroline sent - she sent it to me too. Pretty good crew over there.

 
At 4/04/2008 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter/all - The site is not meant to replace anyone's personal blog etc.; those come first, as yours often is in topblogging ;)

I'm disappointed that Clay does not seem to be ready for primetime, though I'm sure he doesn't need any more pressure from the fans. Regarding Schilling, I have to say that I was surprised when they gave him that contract last year, and then NOT surprised when he had serious injury/issues this year.

What a treat to not only have a game tonight, but at a normal time - Enjoy!

 
At 4/04/2008 1:02 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW...almost funny..she was shaken up...Rooster, I wish I had saved the link...I wasn't feeling well this morning...and Caroline, MAYBE you could send it to me again? I'm sorry.

 
At 4/04/2008 1:03 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Please? And thanks for all the great comments. Caroline, I guess it's too late to be number 34.

 
At 4/04/2008 2:05 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

At least it tickled rooster ... I can always stop the humor attempts. After all, why try to be entertaining?

Since an employee was attacked a couple of days ago, I think officials were too slow on fixing the problem. I smell a lawsuit.

 
At 4/04/2008 5:23 PM, Blogger Rooster said...

BFW - definitely keep the humor coming.

As far as the lawsuit, from what I recall, the Sox were told in the past by the environment people (EPA?) NOT to move any hawk nests if there were eggs in them. Once the eggs were hatched, they could go ahead. This hawk had eggs in a nearby nest, which is why she attacked. But, now that a young girl was the one attacked, they don't seem to care as much about the eggs. They've been "removed".

 
At 4/04/2008 7:44 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Colon has definitely surprised me.
I thought he was going to be, well, pretty bad, but this definitely shows why I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.
----
I had to use Wikipedia to understand BFW's joke, but I have to say that it was pretty funny.

 
At 4/05/2008 5:38 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, sometimes you just can't help it! And that's good.
Rooster, the hawk AND the egg were removed to a secluded place.
Brit, I have a feeling that Colon will be one of the BIG surprises of this summer. Boy, is he needed.
THANKS ALL!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home