Monday, March 24, 2008

Wonderful Wakes And Dandy Drew

The Boston Red Sox defeated the Yomiuri Giants 9-2 yesterday, and the stars were Tim Wakefield and JD Drew, who obviously enjoys hitting the Japanese version of a baseball. He mashed a grand slam in the victory over the Giants just one day after he clubbed a three run homer against the Hanshin Tigers. He said this after the game...

"I wish those innings counted right there," Drew said, likely only half joking. "I would have a couple home runs and some RBIs."

Peter back once again. Tim Wakefield had clearance to go six innings, but Tito Francona opted to take him out after 5 2/3 to allow the relievers to get some mound time. This is also from the Boston Globe...

"Giving up two runs on five hits, Wakefield could have gone longer, but Francona wanted to get work for four relievers. And Wakefield termed himself in regular-season form, with some good curveballs, though he said he didn't have his "best stuff." That might be because the past few days were pretty rough, according to the pitcher, who said he finally got enough rest Saturday night before his start."

Regular season form...that sounds nice! So things are going smoothly for our Sox as the time for opening day quickly approaches. Their first of two games with the Oakland A's will start at 6:05 AM EDT Tuesday, so set your DVRs or your alarm clocks or your VCRs, if there still are any in active use. I have my VCR, a Super VHS model, but it gathers dust more than it plays or records video tapes. But I strayed off the subject. My mind wandered. As long as it stays within arm's reach, I'll be OK. Farther than that, I might be in trouble. I might need help.

Josh Beckett was effective Sunday in a Triple A start, and he'll be ready to go six innings or so when the Sox return to the States. Won't that be a shot in the arm! The only major worry I have right now is our fifth starter situation, even though a fifth starter will NOT be necessary until mid-April. So we go with Beckett, Daisuke, Lester and Wakes until the unnamed but generally well-known number five guy is announced to the media. The bullpen, at least the back end of it, and by that I mean Papelbon, Okajima and Delcarmen (and hopefully Mike Timlin-soon) is first-rate, and there are plenty of guys who can go long if it's needed.

I'll write my next post (barring any breaking Sox news) BEFORE the early morning game tomorrow. I'll be awake anyway, so why not? And then it'll be time to watch Dice K. baffle his countrymen and for the Sox hitters to bash the small ball all over the place. No starting pitcher will go more than six innings, and that will allow the bullpen guys to get their work in as the starters do the same.

Have a great Monday, and click on the title to be directed to the Boston Globe's illuminating article about the Wakefield victory, with a little help from his friends. Again, thanks for stopping by. I hope your Easter was a wonderful one filled with joy and happiness. Mine was kinda quiet. Quiet until last night, when the University of Connecticut's number one in the country women's basketball team made mincemeat of the Ivy League champion Cornell University. They will go far, and they'll be even better next year when Elena Delle Donna joins the team. She's 6'5" tall and is considered the best high school player in the country. It ain't even close! She's THAT good!! So rock on UCONN, and to my Constant Readers, as always, BE WELL.

2 Comments:

At 3/24/2008 1:00 PM, Blogger gingerly said...

Peter,

I got up at 5:30, thinking the first game was today. As soon as I bounded out of bed, I realized my mistake, but it was too late. Up is up.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

That Drew slam was great and I can understand why he wanted it to count. Let's hope he's as good in the real games this year.

Baseball. You gotta love it.

 
At 3/25/2008 6:09 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And now, Keith, I am up, I wrote my post as in the background the pre-game ceremonies were on, and it's ALMOST first pitch time. Enjoy, my good friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home