Thursday, March 27, 2008

Back In The U.S. Back In The U.S. Back In The U.S. of A.

Like a time machine morphing eastward, the Boston Red Sox jetted into Los Angeles and landed in the early evening. Because of the time difference, while adding an hour on the clock with each passing thousand miles or so, the Sox gained half a day. I have a few things to say about the two games from the Dome of Tokyo, but first here are a few comments from the Sox owners and players about their trip home. This is from the Boston Globe, with my thanks. The entire article will be linked when you click on the title...

"This trip was the best and the worst," said owner John Henry as he waited for baggage. Henry was one of the few who didn't sleep on the 12-hour flight from Tokyo to Los Angeles.
"I'm looking forward to having my first hamburger," added team chairman Tom Werner.
"There's still 10 minutes to get a bet down on last night's game," added a member of the traveling party who shall remain nameless." (HaHa! Great line!)

Peter here, and that WAS funny! A few of the things that bother me after watching all 19 innings of the first two games concern our pitching. Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jon Lester seemed to begin this 2008 season much the same as last year...too many pitches out of the strike zone and too few innings pitched. Jon Lester lasted four innings, threw 83 pitches in those few frames, and gave up 3 walks and 4 runs. That's NOT GOOD for a number three starter. Daisuke also faltered early, but his outing was at least respectable. Lester's was not. I KNOW it's early, it ain't even April yet, but if Lester's trend continues, and he did this many times last year, he might well be the worst number three starter in all of baseball. But that was only ONE start, with jet lag added in to boot. Until the rotation, in it's 4 man (for now) entirety, has a couple turns on the mound, if not three, I will reserve judgement.

As for the bullpen, naturally the guys we will count on again and again are still rusty. Paps was shaky, but we know he will rise and shine, as will Okie. We have to hope two others make their presence known with solidity. They are Delcarmen and Aadasma, who I will call Double A. He might be that needed sparkling surprise from a bullpen that is too thin to take us far. Again, these are just initial reflections.

Defensively, we are just fine. And we will be at the plate, too. Manny is already white hot, and that heat will hopefully spread throughout the lineup. So it's not time for panic of any kind. We're 1-1, we went through a grueling trip, travel-wise, but looking on the bright side, the Japanese people of Red Sox International could not have been better hosts. And I thank them! The next regular season game will be Tuesday April 1st at the reasonable (?) hour of 10pm edt. Please don't forget to click on the title of this post for the entire Boston Globe article about our team's ride home, a smooth and uncomplicated one. Thank you for stopping in, and as always, BE WELL.

13 Comments:

At 3/27/2008 9:37 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

You're right, Peter. That time delay remark was really funny.

I've got confidence in Lester. He's going to work it out. As for Matsuzaka, I'd like to see him leave the team. I can hardly watch the man pitch.

And yeah, what do I know? Still, those are my feelings.

And what's this with Brandon Moss dropping back down to the minors? He's kind of like a Jacoby Ellsbury. Why isn't he going to be a regular player? If Coco and Ellsbury can be on the team, why not Drew and Moss?

I know nothing, so enlighten me.

Keith

 
At 3/27/2008 11:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hello. FIRST OF ALL, you know a whole lot! Daisuke might be tough to watch at times, but it was his first start, as was Lester's. Don't give up, and when you said you know nothing, that's not true. Not true at all. OK??? I have faith, you have faith, and that faith will get us through! ALL OF US!!!! Pete

 
At 3/27/2008 2:12 PM, Blogger Beazer said...

Daisuke worries me less than Lester.

Lester is not only aping last year, but the year before as well. Lester's best game last year was Game 4 of the World Series. Before and since, he's been uninspiring.

And, Keith, Moss has options and has improving he could do. We have Kielty up here as a backup right now and Moss is redundant. He's expendable because, with his options, the team can move him up and down as they please.

He'll get his moment.

 
At 3/27/2008 2:14 PM, Blogger sssssssss said...

1

 
At 3/27/2008 2:41 PM, Blogger gingerly said...

Ahhhhh. I didn't realize they could call Moss back lickety-split. Thanks Beazer, for clueing me in.

K

 
At 3/27/2008 2:45 PM, Blogger Rooster said...

Nice site Peter. you are on the mark with your thoughts. Lester is not looking like a front-line pitcher, but probably a decent #4 or #5 guy. I think a big key to a solid rotation (as much as I hate to admit it) may be the addition of a strong healthy Bartolo Colon.

 
At 3/27/2008 3:03 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Beaz, I SO agree...as much as I admire his (Jon's) heart and courage, too many pitches were TOO hittable, and too numerous.

And Rooster, you are being kind to our lefty, who looked lost yesterday.

Hello to you, Keith. And thank you ALL for the comments. Time for lunch. And no real game until April Fool's Day. That's a good thing.

 
At 3/27/2008 3:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

NO FOOLING!!!

 
At 3/27/2008 6:57 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

I think Lester will be fine this year, as will Matsuzaka.
They pulled through when we really needed them last October, so I'm sure they'll do the same this year.

I feel a little bad for Moss, but I'm really glad that he got to (temporarily) end on a good note--that awesome homerun.

It's also good to know that, just in case someone gets hurt, (knock on wood) we have someone who can fill their spot nicely and be a postive contribution to our team.

 
At 3/28/2008 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing the "Darkman" again this season, and I agree with you about Lester.

It's nice that they are back on U.S. soil :)

 
At 3/28/2008 6:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Me too, Caroline. Ad Brittany, we do have four outfielders with ells and crisp, but he's extra insurance, I guess.

 
At 3/28/2008 9:34 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Regarding Lester, I did not think I was being all that kind by saying he will be a decent #4 or #5 guy. Many think he'll be better than that. But, I do think he'll be a good contributor - probably a 10 game winner, maybe a little more with some luck.

Regarding the outfield, Moss has potential but has not really shown enough to stick with the big league club yet. He had a great game in game one, but game two is more what he's shown so far. He'll be back though, and may squeeze his way in next year, or this year if injuries create an opening.

So, where is Bobby Kielty anyway? He's not listed on the Sox 40 man roster. Did I miss something?

 
At 3/29/2008 5:34 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Rooster, I wasn't trying to be kind, I was trying to be realistic. I hope he performs better than my expectations...thanks for your comments, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home