Thursday, March 20, 2008

After Further Thought...

I erred yesterday when I wrote my last post (just below this one) and I want to correct myself. Now. I thought about it a lot last night and I'm up early (it's even early for me!) to correct myself, to say "My bad." Here goes...

When I first heard of the threatened travel boycott by the Red Sox players yesterday, I immediately thought of the many Red Sox fans from Japan who were waiting patiently for the team, THEIR team, to cross the Japanese shores, many of them with precious tickets in their hands as the team winged in from America. I thought of all the sad faces of the children who had their hearts set on seeing their heros from the USA, the champions of the world. So I wrote a post describing the Sox players as being selfish, of thinking only of themselves and not their fans. Boy, was I wrong.

This was a show of team unity unlike any others in my recent memory. Because Major League Baseball decided NOT to pay the Red Sox coaches the same appearance fee that the players would receive, they rose up as one and in a single voice shouted out "NO! We won't go unless the compensation is the same for all." All for one, one for all, the mark of a great team. In the end, things were ironed out, the coaches will be paid and as I write this, the contingent from Boston is just a few hours away from standing firmly and proudly on Red Sox International turf. And that's just so great.

So I want to apologize for my spur-of-the-moment incorrect interpretation of things. I've written at least one post every single day for the past two plus years, and errors are bound to happen. As Emily Litella used to say, and the words fit this situation perfectly (thank you Gilda...I miss you so much), "NEVER MIND."

Thank you, my Constant Readers, and as always, BE WELL. Forever. And click on the title of this post for the Boston Globe's article about the team unity our Sox showed. It's a minute by minute account of yesterday's goings-on, and it's riveting reading.

11 Comments:

At 3/20/2008 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back on board, Peter.

It was a great day for the Red Sox AND baseball yesterday!

 
At 3/20/2008 6:31 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Lisa. I was never off board, just lost with mistaken conclusions. And mistaken they were...bigtime. As Billy Joel once said in a wonderful song..."We're only human, we're SUPPOSED to make mistakes."
And I did. BIGTIME. I appreciate you stopping by. Always. Peter.

 
At 3/20/2008 9:33 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

You're a good, honest guy, Peter. I mean, you went ballistic yesterday, yet here you are, explaining it without making excuses for yourself. A stand-up guy is what you are.

But it wasn't a mistake. It was just how you saw it then. Later, you felt differently. It's not like you reported an inaccurate score or told us Varitek was leaving the team.

It was fun to see Youk hit that homer yesterday, huh? I liked Pedroia's hit too, mostly because it sounded so loud when it hit the bat. He cracked it out there.

Next week = real games. Hooray!

 
At 3/20/2008 11:47 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Billy Joel also said "You had to be a big shot, didn't you? You had to open up your mouth." Hah-hah. You know I'm only teasing because I love you and your writings (mistakes included).

I bet your skin is pretty smooth today, after all the "blasting" you took yesterday.

 
At 3/20/2008 12:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

THANK YOU KEITH!!!!!

And BFW, the "blasting" was my own fault, and even I enjoyed rereading my Thursday post. Gee, who'da thunk?

YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!!

 
At 3/20/2008 12:56 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Hey, it happens to the best of us, and sometimes even me :-)

 
At 3/20/2008 1:25 PM, Blogger DPS said...

I understand your angst yesterday. I thought to myself, "How can these guys be getting a $40k bonus for a trip to Japan?"

In the end, it seems to be (based on Mike Lowell's comments) an issue of the league saying one thing to get the team to agree to this PR trip, and then trying to reneg. I also hear then yesterday evening in MLB Home Plate (XM) that aside from the manager and first 4 coaches, other team staff get no merchandising residuals and, more surprisingly, no pensions.

In the nd, it was the team unity that impressed.

GO SOX!

 
At 3/20/2008 2:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

WOW, Sul and DPS...how do I respond? OK, I'll try....

First, thank you Sul..your writing is amazing!

And DPS, in the end, you are right! I could have surrounded your comment with a certain Beatles lyric, but that's OK. I wonder if the Sox have landed yet? It's 2:40edt now.

THANKS. Wow, an error free comment with no misspells from me, I think.

 
At 3/20/2008 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rosanna Rosanadana used to say, and the words fit this situation perfectly (thank you Gilda...I miss you so much), "NEVER MIND."

Actually. Peter...that was Emily Litella :-)

 
At 3/20/2008 4:24 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Oh come'on Peter; get those Billy Joe lyrics out of our minds with the Beatles' lyrics. What were they? "Can't Buy Me Love" or "And in the end ..."???

 
At 3/21/2008 5:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Lisa, you are correct!! Never mind!
BFW, you were right the second time!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home