Saturday, February 16, 2008

Florida Friction...POST NUMBER 1500!!

Yes, that's friction, not fiction. The Red Sox and Curt Schilling are in the midst of what might be called a "Cold War," a war without a sound, even a whisper, a war based on two entirely different courses of action to help his ailing right shoulder, which we all hope will be dependable again, dependable enough to fling a round baseball towards an odd shaped plate at nearly 90 MPH. Right now, that shoulder cannot carry the load. Did Schill sleep on it wrong, and voila, one morning he woke up with a little soreness, a discomfort that stayed way beyond its welcome? Right now we don't know, but there was a great article in this Saturday morning's Boston Globe, penned by the always reliable Gordon Edes. Here's a bit of it, a little food for thought, and I'll be back with a couple comments afterwards...

"Here’s why the Red Sox gave Schilling the dough: Good pitching is, and always will be, at a premium.
It’s why teams give untold millions to Japanese sensations and Cuban defectors. It’s why college phenoms land big bonuses. It’s why Roger Clemens “misremembered” his retirement last year and returned to the Yankees for half a season. And it’s why the Red Sox rolled the dice on Schilling for $8 million and one year.
You can say the Red Sox misread Schilling’s X-rays, MRIs and birth certificate. But Schilling still won three postseason games last season, burnishing his credentials as one of the greatest October pitchers in history - if not the greatest.
It’s always fun to make sport of Schilling until you visit the history books and gaze at his 11-2 postseason record.
So, yeah, the Sox invested in Schilling for 2008, and now everyone’s angry. Maybe Schilling rolled over on his shoulder one night and something went “horribly wrong,” to use a favorite Schill term when he throws a meatball."

Peter here, and that was just too well written to make it any shorter. The entire piece, penned by the Globe's ace sportswriter, Gordon Edes, is linked when you click on the title of this post. I'd like to know what YOU think. Theo should be talking to a press contingent this very weekend, and the "Cold War" of silence will be audible once again. Do you think Shill SHOULD have surgery? The three doctors who were consulted are divided about this issue. Or should our righthander go through the rest and rehabilitation cycle recommended by the club? Any comments, AND THERE WILL BE SOME (please!!), will be responded to by yours truly. From today (Saturday) until first pitch time in Japan, things will begin to happen and news will be made. And I'm ready. I hope you are, too. Another MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR in the making? I have to hope so.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...this is my post number 1500, dating back to November 2005. Has been been that long? The calender doesn't lie, I guess. If you want to relive EVERY game of our 2007 World Championship season, just go to the archives (previous posts, on the bottom right side), and start in April of that magic year. I had something to say not only about each game, but every single day, be it an off day, a victory or a rare loss. I hope my words will help you experience yet again the sheer and utter joy of that very special seven plus months of 2007.

Constant Readers, have a wonderful, safe and happy weekend. I'll be back tomorrow, if not before, and don't forget to click on that title for the entire Globe article. As always, thank you SO much for being here. You make my heart sing. Luckily, no one can hear it! The only place where I hit ALL the right notes is in the shower. But that's enough about that! BE WELL, as always.

9 Comments:

At 2/16/2008 10:06 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

500 more to 2K:

Welcome to The Big #s

 
At 2/16/2008 10:11 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Roger was NEVER this Good, until he misremembered & took the Roids:

Dice K frightened me down the stretch. Eric Gag-me NEVER had it. Curt gave us a scare in Atlanta;

But age has a way of catching up

 
At 2/16/2008 10:51 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Peter,

Congratulations! It takes a l-o-n-g time to write 1500 posts. You keep your excitement level up every day, which is what makes your blog so interesting. And it's easy to catch your excitement, which makes it tons of fun for us. Keep up the good work.

As for Schill, I don't know which course of action he should take, but I do feel he'll help the team this year no matter what. If anybody can pitch through a problem, it's Curt. I am so happy he's with us for another year.

(And Michael, Dice-K frightened me too. I am totally nervous when this guy's on the mound. Hope he calms down this year and throws a lot less wild pitches.)

K

 
At 2/16/2008 11:04 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Peter, you're confusing us. Your title link is to Edes' Friday morning article. I don't know what else he had to say in his Saturday article.

I can just hope Curt keeps the right frame of mind and his situation won't negatively effect our team this year.

 
At 2/16/2008 11:27 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Oh, I found the article you quoted. It was from Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald.

 
At 2/16/2008 11:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Mike! And about your second comment, I AM SO CONFIDENT about our 2008 Boston Red Sox!

Keith, thank you. I BELIEVE. In what? In EVERYTHING Red Sox Nation. We'll all watch...together!

BFW, that's the Edes' article I wanted to link. When I posted my Saturday early post, WAY too early, I was intent on the Edes' content, not the date. But, ya know what? I was close, wasn't I??

Thank you, all of you (yep, that's you!!!!) for leaving me the great comments. Peter, on a sunny Sat. afternoon. Lunchtime!

 
At 2/16/2008 11:41 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I think it was an Edes' article, but right now, to me, it doesn't matter. Lunchtime at 11:40am beckons, and with Type One Diabetes, when the lunch bell rings, I have to go to my kitchen, take my glucose sugar level, take my insulin and then, my favorite part! EAT!! Be well, and thank you all for the great coments. I MEAN THAT!!!!!!

 
At 2/16/2008 2:46 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Congratulations!

I think Keith's comment perfectly sums up my thoughts on Curt.

Once again, congrats! I haven't read all 1,500 posts, but based on the ones I've read, I'm sure they are all excellent!

 
At 2/17/2008 6:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thnks Brittney...you're a good reviewer. You're hired!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home