Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Red Sox And Yankees In This Year Of 2008

Good morning. I came across an article at fox sports dot com, which is not my primary or secondary source of Boston Red Sox News, but at this time of the year, when winter has us in its icy grip, the baseball news is hard to come by. Sometimes I just stumble upon it, and sometimes a search becomes a determined quest. But I'm not the type of guy who gives up, hands held over his head in disgust. Uh-uh...that ain't me! I was lucky this time, for the Globe and the Herald and the Courant were pretty much devoid of Red Sox news and filled to the brim with college football. So I punched in ESPN, USA Today, and then Fox, and I hit paydirt. Or at least I hit something with the words Red Sox and Yankees in it. Actually, it's a great article that focuses on a breakdown of these two hated rivals, offensively and defensively and every other which way. I'll link the entire article with this post's title, but for now I'll leave you with a taste of it, the summary at the very end of the piece. Here it is....I'll be back with some comments, and then I'd like to read yours. Here you go...
*****************
"These are two very good teams, and there's a strong chance that both will wind up in the playoffs. While there's still time for a blockbuster trade to tilt the scales, right now Boston is clearly the better club. The Yanks get the nod on offense — both in terms of starters and in terms of bench talent — but Boston is better in the rotation and in the bullpen, and they also have the better team defense and the better manager. To be sure, another thrilling AL East chase is in the offing, but right now the smart money is on the Boston Red Sox."
*****************
Peter here. I have smart money! Just kidding, because if I ever hazard any sheckals on a bet, it is never on a team I love...my heart gets in the way of my common sense, so it's better not to bet at all. As balanced and good as our offense is, Perry, the writer of this entertaining article, is right...the Yankees have a better "on paper" offense that is capable of more. By a scinch! The rotation edge belongs to the Red Sox, and that's true even without the much discussed Santana trade in the mix. The bullpens, at least when it comes to the closer and the set-up guys, are as close to even as they could get. (P.S. I'll take Paps anyday, anytime, anywhere, any planet!). The edge on defense belongs to our Boston club. THAT I agree with. I recommend you click on the title of this post and decide for yourself. And then leave me a comment. I will read and respond to any and all of them. What with the long holiday weekend, readership has been down, but I know most of you are here for the long run, while I keep on keeping on, writing EVERYDAY. You see, I love this!

Have a wonderful Wednesday as we return to the regular grind, if there is such a thing. And I hope your New Year holiday was rich with family, friends and loved ones. Be well.

7 Comments:

At 1/02/2008 9:13 AM, Blogger Suldog said...

Happy New Year, Peter!

 
At 1/02/2008 10:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Same to you, Sul!! Thanks

 
At 1/02/2008 10:16 AM, Blogger TBG said...

Good find Peter. I've been reading your blog for about a month now and wanted to say thank you. I love the passion and fresh vision you give our beloved Sox. Happy New Year!

 
At 1/02/2008 11:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

TBG, thank you! I found it online, after a search....I hope your New Year 2008 will be the best! And thank you for your kind words.....Peter N.

 
At 1/02/2008 11:49 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Yankees Offense is also getting older:

A Happy New Year To You, Peter

 
At 1/02/2008 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Yanks outscored the Red Sox by a hundred runs last year, and where did that get them?

GO SOX!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 
At 1/02/2008 1:41 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike and Lisa....Happy New Year to you both, my blog friends.

Thank you so much, and I know, I just KNOW, that 2008 will bring great things!!! For all of us!!!!! Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home