Monday, January 28, 2008

Johan Santana Deal Happening Soon! I'm Confused!!

I was perusing the sports sites this morning in preparation for this post and came upon something very interesting. And we all knew it was going to happen...sooner or later. Well, now IS later. Here is the ESPN blurb, and then I'll be back with some comments...

"There is lots of Twins-related news this Sunday morning. First, Charley Waters, columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, writes today that a Johan Santana deal is expected to come down within 10 days. He has been dead on in forecasting forthcoming Twins machinations, so after weeks and weeks of start-up talks and lingering talks and pending talks and non-stop talks, we could view this as a two-minute warning in this whole Santana conversation. You can read pretty clearly between the lines of Waters' piece about who is saying what.
I also heard from a couple of sources that Boston has taken Jon Lester off the table, for good, in the Santana trade discussions."

Peter here, and now I'm a little confused. If the Red Sox have taken Lester off the table, does this mean that the Ellsbury package is still ON the table. Or are the Sox out of the "competition" and the likely dealmaker will be the Mets? Or the Yankees. The Yankees have said they will not part with ANY of their young pitching talent, so they would seem, accent on SEEM, to be out of it. The Mets think they have been used as pawns since day one. So, hmmm. I don't know WHAT to think. It happens sometimes. Often, in fact. Hey, it's early Monday morning. I'm forgiven, right? We'll all have to wait on this one, and it surely looks like it won't be a long wait. If obtaining Santana's services would mean parting with Jacoby Ellsbury, I say this. Think twice, Sox front office. But with Coco waiting to be the starting centerfielder, the Red Sox might be thinking differently. And with Jon Lester off the table, well, you can see why I'm confused,

Confusion aside, and yes, it is, for the moment, I hope your weekend was great and the coming week will be a good one. Click on the title for SI dot com's John Heyman's THE DAILY SCOOP, with details of a possible blockbuster deal between the Orioles and the Mariners. The object of Seattle's desire? None other than Baltimore's excellent pitcher, Erik Bedard. Just click that title. My readership is still down, but I thank you everydayers. And I know the blog hits will increase as the smell of spring in Florida enters into our senses. And as always...be safe out there! I love every one of you.

11 Comments:

At 1/28/2008 8:51 AM, Blogger TBG said...

Personally, I'm much more willing to part with Lester than I am Ellsbury. Jacoby has the talent to be a tremendous player for years to come. That doesn't mean he won't have ups and downs but we're talking about a tremendous potential leadoff hitter that Crisp has never been. I never thought I'd say this but...I don't want Santana that bad.
Have a great day Peter and thanks for this wonderful blog!

 
At 1/28/2008 10:50 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Let's hope we don't lose Jacoby. I can't see that happening. The Red Sox management would have to be nuts to lose him. And I want to keep Lester too.

Finished the ALCS DVDs and moved into the World Series DVDs. Maybe it's me but the equality seems a bit better on the series DVDs. And it is a major relief to be able to hear the Red Sox Radio announcers rather than Buck/McCarver. Thanks to redsox.njdevils for letting me know I could change the audio on those DVDs.

The ALCS was great. I think I was so crazed while watching it in real-time that I forgot to enjoy the games. Game 6 sure was the Redeption Game. Drew's grand slam, Lugo breaking out, Pedroia finally getting his post-season legs and hitting strong, Jacoby like lightning, Youk breaking out again. It was such a feel-good game.

Anyway, Peter, we'll see what happens with Santana in the coming weeks. Thanks for giving us the usual heads-up on this.

 
At 1/28/2008 10:58 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Let's hope we don't lose Jacoby. I can't see that happening. The Red Sox management would have to be nuts to lose him. And Peter, I want to keep Lester too.

Finished the ALCS DVDs this weekend and moved on to the World Series DVDs. Maybe it's me but the quality seems a bit better on the WS DVDs. And wow, is it a major relief to be able to hear the Red Sox Radio announcers rather than Buck/McCarver. (Thanks to redsox.njdevils for letting me know I could change the audio on those DVDs). I couldn't believe Buck/McC doing Shilling's obituary as he's pitching this great game. They were wrong about everything. The Red Sox Radio guys actually talked about the game that was being played! And they didn't try to push ego-mad personalities on us. I never heard these guys before and liked them a lot.

The ALCS, the second time around, was great. I think I was so crazed while watching it in real-time that I forgot to enjoy the games. Game 6 sure was the Redeption Game. Drew's grand slam, Lugo breaking out, Pedroia finally getting his post-season legs and hitting strong, Jacoby like greased lightning, and Youk coming on strong like he did in the early season. It was such a feel-good game.

Anyway, Peter, I guess we'll see what happens with Santana in the coming weeks. Thanks for giving us the usual heads-up on this.

 
At 1/28/2008 10:59 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Oops. Never edit your comments when you've accidentally published them already. I gotta watch that.

Keith

 
At 1/28/2008 11:00 AM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

I don't want to lose Jacoby or Lester. Sure, it would be pretty cool to have Santana, but I think we'll still do fine without him (and the '07 season is proof of that!). As long as he's not in pinstripes, I'm happy.

-No problem, gingerly. The box makes it seem like you can change the audio for all of the games, but it's only available for the WS.

 
At 1/28/2008 12:36 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

I don't want to lose either Ellsbury or Lester, and I don't think the Sox need Santana. I can't see any reason for the Sox actually making a deal for him, unless they know something about some other of their pitching staff that we're not privy to..

 
At 1/28/2008 6:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Where do I begin? Ok, OK, I know. At the beginning. TBG, I don't want to lose Ells to ANY TEAM!!
Keith, you can thank Sox/Devils for her DVD review. In fact, I will too!
Sox/Devils, Gingerly is Keith, but I want to say this to you, oh unnamed one...I'm so happy you set up an account so that you can comment and stuff. Really!
...and last but in no way least, hello Sul...I hope we (the Red Sox) just sit tight and let it all happen.
WHILE WE'RE ALL WATCHING throughout a magic-to-be summer of 2008.!!!!!!!

Everyone, say hi to my newest reader, from N.J. She loves the Sox, she is a super fan, and I don't know her name, but I call her Sox/Devils.
Everyone, have a great night. I appeciate evey comment, every reader...snd I'm just brrewing some iced tea...tired way too early. Again, you all are the best, and that makes ME so so so so lucky!!!

So thank you TBG, Keith, Sox?Devs and Sully. You made my night. And that is so so priceless.

1/28/2008 6:30 PM

edit commentpublish this comment

 
At 1/28/2008 6:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I'm sorry for the typos.....but that's just me! Have a great night.

 
At 1/28/2008 7:34 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Thanks for the introduction--you described me pretty well!!

My real name is Brittany, but Sox/Devs is fine!

I really don't know how I ever survived before without this blog. It, and you :), are so great!

 
At 1/28/2008 8:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Brit, all I can say is WoW! What a beautiful name!! I'm not usually on the computer after dinnertime, but I am now. Have a great night...you & everyone!
You make it all worthwhile. And I'm smiling.

 
At 1/28/2008 8:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And wouldn't it be nice just to be able to turn on the TV and watch a baseball game? Just the thought makes me happy. Good night all! I'll be back way too early in the morning...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home