Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Santana Continuing What-Ifs...

Rumors of continuing talks between the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins, with the Mets still in the mix, are still being reported. This is what the man himself, Johan Santana, had to say recently. This is from ESPN dot com...

"I'm a Minnesota Twin. That's all I know. It's up to them (the Twins). Whatever they have to do is going to happen. It has nothing to do with me at all," Santana told the News-Press of Fort Myers recently. "I said it from the beginning during the season last year, whatever will be the best for this team and this organization, I'll agree with that."

Peter here, and that makes sense to me. He knows he's eligible for free agency after the '08 season, and to the highest bidder he will go...unless the Twins do the understandably logical thing and trade him for multiple prospects. I just wanted to update you, my Constant readers, with anything new, but the murmurs are just that...whispered mutterings almost under the limits of human hearing. The GM of the Twins, Bill Smith, had this to say today, taken from the (Tuesday) Boston Globe...

"There are enough rumors coming out of Boston and New York," he said. "I don't need to fuel any of them or comment on any of them."
There have been newspaper reports in New York that the Yankees have pulled out of the Santana hunt and that it was down to the Red Sox and Mets, but Yankee owner Hank Steinbrenner yesterday told the Associated Press, "we're still discussing it." Smith did not indicate that any team had been ruled out.
"Like I said, there's no timetable on my part," Smith said. "We're just trying to do what's best for the Minnesota Twins. We're trying to do the right thing by our team for now and in the future.
The Red Sox have been very quiet as of late about their interest. A Jon Lester-Coco Crisp-Justin Masterson and possibly Jed Lowrie package could still be in play. But some Sox officials would prefer to keep their young players and not make the deal."

Peter here. Interesting, because that's exactly how I feel. With Lester in the rotation, healthy and ready for his first full season after beating cancer, and Jacoby Ellsbury patrolling centerfield with his lightning-like speed and ability to slap hits to all fields with his quick bat and basepath speed, our team will be golden! Six quality starters, a line up identical to their World Series one and a general good feeling that the team members all get along like an extended family...add 'em all up and that makes the Boston Red Sox the frontrunner to take it all yet again. Clay Buchholz will make a statement...I just KNOW it! Add Josh Baseball, Curt Schilling, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester and Timmy Wakefield to that magic rotation mix and you realize what this team is capable of doing. And I hope they do it all!! Don't forget Paps at the back end of our bullpen. Yes.

I hope your Tuesday will be a great day, and I thank you for stopping by. Click on this post's title to be linked to an article from the Boston Herald, a piece that encapsulates everything! A must read!! It tries to answer this question..."Where will Johan Santana play in 2008?" I have a distinctive feeling that it will NOT be in that huge mid-western state that starts with an "M".

As always, be well, and don't forget to click on this post's title for that Michael Silverman Boston Herald article. I'll be back when or if the news changes...about anything! Or nothing!! Such is my nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home