Monday, December 03, 2007

An Offer To The Twins, Incomprehensible To Me!!

Ok, Ok. Maybe NOT incomprehensible....but including Jacoby Ellsbury on the "offer sheet" for the services of the great lefthander Johan Santana makes no sense to me. None at all! This is from the Monday Boston Globe....

"Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner, vowing "not to be played" by the Red Sox, said publicly the Minnesota Twins must make a decision on whether to accept New York's offer by today, or it will be withdrawn.
The Sox, who so far are prepared to offer pitcher Jon Lester or center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury but not both as part of their package to acquire the two-time Cy Young Award winner, placed Ellsbury back on the table, which would cause a reshuffling of the players who would have gone as part of a Lester deal (Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie, Justin Masterson). An Ellsbury deal almost certainly would include either Masterson and/or Michael Bowden, but Clay Buchholz was not in play as of last night. The Sox have not set a deadline on their offer."

Peter here. We had a freezing rain outbreak last night, but right now it's approaching 32 degrees F. at 8:57 AM EST. And that's good news...we lost power at 4:10 AM EST, and it just came back, much to my utter delight. And now, back to the Santana mess, for that's EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. Of course, that's just my opinion. I NEVER thought the Red Sox would put Jacoby's name on that dreaded list of players who might be moving westward, but right now, it seems that the future of his Red Sox career might indeed be a too short one. MUCH too short! I do not want the Yankees to have that lefthanded ace as part of their rotation, but I also don't want to part with our future star centerfielder. And that, of course, is Jacoby Ellsbury. So we shall see. The Yankees have demanded the Minnesota decision no later than the end of Monday's business day. I have no idea what will transpire, but I am appalled that Ellsbury is dangling out there in no man's land. It's a veritable shame. As Ned Martin would say, "Oh Mercy!"

Click on the title of this post for the entire Boston Globe article, co-written by Amalie Benjamin and Gordon Edes. It explains all of the Nashville details as of right now. Have a great Monday...it's so great to have the power back. Any comments? I'll answer each and every one. And if there's any news, power willing, I'll be right here for each and every one of you.

5 Comments:

At 12/03/2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Suldog said...

Yup. The Sox don't need Santana. We're better off keeping the young position talent, IMHO.

 
At 12/03/2007 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I do not want the Yankees to have that lefthanded ace as part of their rotation, but I also don't want to part with our future star centerfielder"

Unfortunately, Peter, it's one or the other. But take heart! No matter how it turns out, the Sox will have a GREAT team next year and for years to come, and isn't that all that really matters?

 
At 12/03/2007 11:45 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sul, I agree! And MCW, you are so right. I would hate to see us without Jacoby, not to mention the rest that the Twins are demanding.
Thanks!! Pete

 
At 12/03/2007 10:38 PM, Blogger laura said...

I am sick of all my favorites getting traded! I know I've complained about it before, but Arroyo, Bellhorn, Nixon all gone the minute I put them atop my favorites list. It is ANNOYING!

 
At 12/04/2007 6:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Laura, most of those times, the moves worked! So many of my favorites over the too many years have had to say goodbye to make room for a new face. It ain't easy for us fans!! Not at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home