Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Three Games Up With Five To Go!

Yes, that's right! The Boston Red Sox beat the visiting Oakland A's by a score of 7-3. Curt Schilling proved that he's back, all back, going 6 innings and giving up only 1 run on 6 hits while walking none. I think he should be our number two starter behind Beckett for the postseason. What a one-two punch that would be! But Tito has other ideas, and it looks like he will start Matsuzaka second and Schilling third. Why gamble when the chances are excellent to win the first two with Beckett and Schill? I don't know. But now only an utter collapse would prevent the Sox from being the AL Eastern Division champions. The Yankees blew a 5 run lead and lost to the mighty Tampa Bay Devil Rays 7-6 in 10 innings. They also had to shut down Roger Clemens until the postseason, too. Poor babies.

Big Papi put the finishing touch on the A's with his 8th inning home run. Manny started, batting second, and looked good, stroking a first inning line single. Kevin Youkilis came into the game for defensive purposes and will start on Wednesday. He said this about his wrist.....

"It felt all right, " Youkilis said. "Definitely not 100 percent, but hopefully I'll go out there each day and get better. I can swing, so that's a good thing. It'll progress. Hopefully, over the next five days, it gets better and stronger. Right now, it's a little weak."

So after a productive Tuesday evening, the Red Sox are sitting in the catbird seat. And that's just where I like it. For those of you who've asked me which team I'd rather see the Sox play in the opening round of the playoffs, here's your answer...the Cleveland Indians. Why? Travel distance, nothing more, nothing less.

Click on the title of this post for the Globe's Amalie Benjamin's piece on last night's game, with an emphasis on Curt Schilling and the returns of Manny Ramirez and Kevin Youkilis, both of whom we'll see more and more of as the week progresses. And go Tampa Bay, beat dem bums again! Thanks for being here, and I'd love to read and respond to your comments, as always. Thanks.

10 Comments:

At 9/26/2007 7:09 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Those Bums Got beat in extra frames:

Celabration Time, C'mon

 
At 9/26/2007 7:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'll celebrate when we clinch...hey Mike, I've been celebrating since we made the playoffs, but THIS week is made for thrills and chills. Do YOU think Schill should be our number two in the postseason, and not pitch Sunday?
Thanks, my Sox friend. I sense your excitement, and I love this time of year!!! We're gettin' healthy!!!!!!!!!!!! Lester and Buccholz tonight..........

 
At 9/26/2007 7:58 AM, Blogger Krystle [RSO] said...

I hope they clinch by Sunday. I want go get my shirt when I go to the game =].

 
At 9/26/2007 9:22 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

They will, Krystle....the earlier (Friday, I hope!!) the better, so that players can rest, heal, and MAYBEEE Schill won't have to pitch Sunday, so he can be our #2 starter for the postseason. Thanks for your comment. e're all waiting for that MAGIC moment, when the Sox clinch...today, it will be Lester and Buc.

 
At 9/26/2007 9:56 AM, Blogger San Francisco Red Sox Fan said...

I'd like to see the Sox play the Indians first too - mostly because the Angels are Yankee slayers.

Great game last night - 3 to go!!!

 
At 9/26/2007 10:32 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

That was a good feeling last night. Let's keep it going! The Indians are the hotter team right now, but I'm like you and think the traveling is a more important factor. Schill looks strong enough to be the #2 guy, but I think Tito is going to roll the Dice for that spot. Go Sox!

 
At 9/26/2007 11:20 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

hanks! Let the Yanks go back and forth 3000 miles...their bullpen would not survive. And Roger, he might survive the walk to his cab!!!!

 
At 9/26/2007 11:21 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

YAY!!!!!! Thanks guys, and ladies, and everyone!!!!

 
At 9/26/2007 3:20 PM, Blogger laura said...

I'm not sold on Matsuzaka as #2 when Schilling has been on the team longer, proven himself in the postseason, and his ERA is lower...but Francona seems to be fond of giving people chances, and Matsuzaka was the MVP of the WBC so...he will probably step up and be fine.

 
At 9/27/2007 6:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Laura, I think if we clinch tonight (Thursday) or tomorrow night, which is a great possibility, we'll see Tavarez pitch Sunday and Schill go in game #2. I'm just headed over to your blog now!
Thanks for the kind words, kenny o! Come back!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home