Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Two Batters Too Many For Schill....Angels Thump Red Sox

It was a 2-2 ballgame through six, and Schill had pitched well. He was matched, however, by Angels' starter Jered Weaver. Weaver departed after the sixth, but Curt stayed in....for two batters. A home run and a double chased him from the game, the Angels scored two and they eventually won the game by a score of 4-2. It was a credible first appearance by Curt, but the Angel pitching was too much for the Sox hitters. Coupled with the Yankees' win, the AL East lead is down to six games. Not enough for me.
One other note of interest was that Manny Ramirez was ejected from the game for arguing a third strike call. He uttered "the magic word" twice as he walked away from the plate and umpire James Hoye, according to manager Tito. And that ejection ended up hurting the club bigtime.

It's up to Tim Wakefield to get the Red Sox back on the winning track. He's been pitching well of late, and he'll be facing the 5-0 Joe Saunders at 10pm tonight. After that, there's the west coast final edition game tomorrow, and then it's on to Baltimore. Let's hope Toronto AND the Red Sox can take care of business before then and get that lead back to seven games.

Click on the title of this post for the Globe's Gordon Edes' take on Curt Schilling's first outing. He faced one of the American League's best teams last night, and he was OK. And he's back. If he shows us more of the same kind of pitching, he'll win his share of games in the eight weeks left this season, a season where the Yankees refuse to lose....they have the best record in the majors since May 29, but their bullpen will end up being their downfall. Mark my words. But the Sox need more consistant hitting to continue their winning ways. There is just so much the pitchers can do, and they've been doing it!

10 Comments:

At 8/07/2007 8:17 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I don't know if it was two batters too many or not because of his pitch count. But Tito did say before the game, he wanted Schill to finish his last inning and start fresh with an reliever. So that made me surprised that Schill started out the inning.

 
At 8/07/2007 9:13 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

After the quality start by Schill (six innings giving up three runs or less), did Tito get a call from Grady? I thought the bullpen was our greatest strength. I'm not saying the outcome would have been any different, but the strategy perplexes me. I guess if you're there and Schill feels fine and is throwing ok, you leave him in.

I know many of us would like the season to be over soon while we still have the lead, but by my count there are nearly eight weeks left instead of four.

 
At 8/07/2007 10:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Wow, you both (and me!) are right!!!!

 
At 8/07/2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW...I fixed it....it was VERY early in the morning, and I was a little down when I heard the final score.....am I forgiven?????

 
At 8/07/2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know I make errors...so do the Sox.......

 
At 8/07/2007 11:41 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I divinely forgive you as I was only trying to help. May the Sox & your errors be minimal.

 
At 8/07/2007 11:50 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Muchas gracias!

 
At 8/07/2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Schill's pitch count wouldn't have been so much of a problem if he had covered first base earlier. That ended up costing him two runs and maybe 12 - 15 pitches. Good outing overall and I think the Sox are now in great shape for the stretch run.

 
At 8/07/2007 3:27 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Good point Sul. In a game like that, the smallest mistakes can come back to bite you in the ass. And there was certainly more than one small mistake. I like your outlook the last third of the season.

 
At 8/07/2007 4:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I think so too, Sul. And BFW, there was a multitude of little things that added up to two extras runs, and the eventual defeat. My faith in Lester is low right now, so tonight looms importantly. Wakes, Wakey, Timmy, Timmah, WIN!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home