Monday, August 20, 2007

Great Tavarez Start Ruined By The Lack Of Lumber

Julian Tavarez tamed the mighty LA Angels for seven sparkling innings, and the bullpen finished the job. Unfortunately, the Angels' Joe Saunders was better, limiting the Red Sox to one run on six hits. The final score was 3-1 Angels, reducing the AL East lead over the NY Yankees to 4 small games. If they overtake the Sox and climb into first, it will be because of improved pitching and superlative hitting. The Sox have had great pitching all year, but their offensive output has not approached that of the pinstripers. They're not even in the same league, hitting wise.

A three city road trip looms on the near horizon, with three games, starting tonight in Tampa Bay. Then it's on to Chicago for four and New York for three. Every game is vital as we enter the six week stretch run to the post season. But to stay in first place, the hitting must improve. I've said it all year, but the Sox have been a .500 club for coming up on three months. And that's completely unacceptable.

Click on the title of this post for Dan Shaughnessy's take on the state of this club from Boston, this underacheiving (at least hittingwise) bunch of highly paid players who sometimes look like they couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag. The Sox sometimes seem as if they had all just surprisingly woken from a teamwide coma, years in length. Harsh words? THEY DESERVE IT!

11 Comments:

At 8/20/2007 9:49 AM, Blogger Suldog said...

Ah, it was sad. I watched both the Sox and the Walpole, MA, little league game on ABC. Between both teams, ONE RUN. Today, they BOTH score big!

 
At 8/20/2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sul! I too watched the Walpole game, rooting as hard as I can...but...but....they did well. The Sox? I am SICK as hell watching .500 baseball. Mags might be at fault...I have no patience when that "other" team is hitting so well. They'll be in first place by the end of the month, and then it's a scramble for the Wild Card. And that's when they'll LOSE me. Peter

 
At 8/20/2007 11:06 AM, Blogger Beazer said...

//and then it's a scramble for the Wild Card. And that's when they'll LOSE me. //

So, Peter, are you saying you'll only stay a fan if they're in first place?

 
At 8/20/2007 12:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

CYN, you know better than that. I've been a fan through thick and thin, way before you joined us here on this wonderful Earth. A ton more thick than thin.
'Scuse me for saying, but you should know better than that....it's almost as if you become a troll when you say something like that!
Stay well Cyn...I hope we're still buddies...it's just that sometimes, this club I love, and I WILL love them always, until my last breath, makes it tough. I've been used to it, since '67, '75....both heartbreak years for me. I'm surprised at you. Pete

 
At 8/20/2007 12:37 PM, Blogger Beazer said...

Peter, you're surprised at me?

What does your comment mean then?

//And that's when they'll LOSE me. //

 
At 8/20/2007 12:39 PM, Blogger Beazer said...

And, Peter, I hope you don't think I'm being nasty, I'm not. It was just a curious statement from you and I was wondering what it meant.

 
At 8/20/2007 1:25 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Cyn, it's just me NOT having a great day, and at the same time, so underwhelmed by our offensive output.
That's all...I STILL think you are the best. By far. OK?

 
At 8/20/2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Cyn, you are are the best...I hope you know that....

 
At 8/20/2007 8:19 PM, Blogger Middle Relief said...

I know this is not on baseball, but I just feel the need to comment on it.

Today I saw a press conference stating that Michael Vick has accepted a plea deal. He'll be submitting a statement of facts on his behavior that includes drowning, strangling, bludgeoning, electrocuting and more if you can believe it - to dogs. This guy throws his life and career away because he can't control the need to abuse innocent animals.

He's a poor excuse for a human being, it is sub human. I hope he goes to jail for the full 5 years not just the 12 to 18 months the media is guessing on.

 
At 8/20/2007 10:42 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

HOW ARE U?

 
At 8/21/2007 6:43 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

MR, I am with you! Bigtime. And Kaylee, I'm fine, HOW ARE YOU? Are you home yet?? You hardly ever stop by and leave a comment, but I know you've been under the weather. I hope those days are behind for, for good! I also thought you went over to the "other side." That would be Surviving Grady. I love the posts, but their crew of commenters do NOT like me. Don't know why... but that's neither here nor there. The important thing is this--YOU'RE OK!!!!!!!!!!! And that makes me so happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home