Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Memories Of The IMPOSSIBLE DREAM Season. The 1967 Boston Red Sox-Part Three

Peter here, and here is Jay's latest installment of
THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM SEASON. THE BOSTON RED SOX 1967.
My comments will appear with a star.

"Okay, let's get started with the 1967 season. Remember
now, I was 15 years old and really not aware of
what was to come. It wasn't like I woke up one day
before the season and said, "Okay, I'm going to find a
favorite team this year!!" *Peter here....just
checking to make sure that you know when it's me. And
I felt the same way!*

Looking back on it, I guess there were some events in
early April that in hindsight must have made me take
notice... i.e. the Yaz catch off Tom Tresh and the
Billy Rohr near no-hitter, but still they won a few
and lost a few and weren't really noticeable on the
radar early on that year. They had a group of
players on this team that could not have foretold the
story waiting to unfold. *And I'll never forget Ken
Coleman's call of that 9th inning Yaz catch in the
Billy Rohr near no-hitter. Yaz was in left, and the ball was hit to dead left, and at the stadium, there's so much room behind the leftfielder. So he just turned his back on EVERYTHING and raced for the wall, seemingly not even tracking where that sure-to-be base hit would land. But, well, let's just say he was airborne, and then Ken Coleman, and I know to this very day that he was the best baseball broadcaster, with Ned Martin or without, who I've ever heard, said these famous words......"He dives and
makes A TREMENDOUS CATCH!!!!!" Remember, those last three words will forever echo in RSN. Imagine a man screaming those immortal utterances at the top of his lungs. It was cry-inducing material, backed up by the films later in the day. THE BEST CATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN. I still get a lump in my throat to this very day. Back to Jay.*

And it was one of the best I've ever seen. But then two batters later,
Elston Howard, clutch man that he was, broke up the near no-no against those Yankees.
Truth be told, the follow-up outings by Billy Rohr
after the near no-hitter were not much to talk about,
and to be honest I'm not sure the Sox won the "Tresh"
game, but again reflecting on 1967 40 years later they
probably were the first inkling of what was to come.
*I too was experiencing my first taste of the Boston
Red Sox, and the magic to come. And 40 years later,
the magic continues.*
I don't have any other recollections of April 1967
right now, but the 2 mentioned here as I look back
over
40 years served as a strong reminder of the Impossible
Dream, OUR Cardiac Kids.

More later.."

Peter here, and Jay, thank you for just a TEMPTING
taste of 1967. My comments between the star
symbols were, I hope, to your liking. And to all my
readers, thanks....Jay always loves to read and
respond to your comments, as do I. Thank you Jay AKA
jayspay AKA great friend with a wonderful memory for
all the best stuff.

11 Comments:

At 6/12/2007 10:09 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Peter here, and I understand after talking to Jay today (Tuesday) that he might not be sharing with us his 1967 memories in chronological order, and he was concerned. I told him in no uncertain terms that it doesn't matter WHAT order they're in....just the highlights of that magic season are perfect for me, and hopefully you, my readers. Let him know! Jay, keep 'em coming!!!! Just my thoughts.....

 
At 6/12/2007 10:44 AM, Blogger Suldog said...

Billy Rohr finished his career at something like 1 and 2, right? If I recall, that was his only win. Amazing catch by Yaz. I hope people never forget that he was one of the best fielders to ever play this game.

 
At 6/12/2007 10:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I remember that catch as the highlight of my early baseball life, and the YAZ '67 season as the most clutch, including our Papi, season that ANYONE could ever have!
Thanks Sul!

 
At 6/12/2007 10:53 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

That WAS the highlight of Billy's career...

 
At 6/12/2007 10:57 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Jay, Peter, thanks for the good descriptive accounts. They stir a lot of memories. I didn't get to see or hear any of that home opener for the Yankees, but I remember reading about it and how disappointed I was on getting that close to a no-hitter. A little solace in winning the game and I would have loved to have seen Yaz's catch. I think Billy Rohr had his career interrupted by the Army Reserve about a month after that game (another bad war going on at that time) and could never recapture the magic.
I'll be looking forward to read more of your memories. Thanks again.

 
At 6/12/2007 11:22 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

My 700th is up:

Apocalyptic & Humorous;

& a Toast to memories, sad & great;

Clue-they were in LA, causing me to lose sleep

 
At 6/12/2007 3:59 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, great post over at your place!! I will come up with something for the morning. And game one of the "rocky" road that the team from Colorado has to climb, I'm sure, will bring inspiration. Thanks Jay...a near (almost, but not that almost) miss.
I hope everyone's Tuesday is great. Right here, it's gotten dark as night...I checked my watch, and there are so many daylight hours left!
I'm doomed!!!! Between my readers and me (me!), PRSF will be OK. Jay, I'll try my best to fill those shoes of yours! Promise.

 
At 6/12/2007 4:21 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Jay, did you see that game live, on TV or what?

 
At 6/12/2007 8:24 PM, Blogger JaySpay said...

Hey, Wichita...I saw it on TV when it happened. I don't recall who televised it but I saw it.

Suldog, Rohr really was the consummate flash in the pan.

I still call Yaz's catch the greatest ever...if anyone remembers the '69 Mets...that series was filled with amazing plays against the Orioles but Yaz's was just plain UNCONSCIOUS.

 
At 6/13/2007 7:09 AM, Blogger Middle Relief said...

Why not relive the Impossible dream season of 1978?

Peter - you are correct on the level of play on the Pirates - and based on the win/loss records of interleague, starting to wonder if all the NL is closer to Triple A???

 
At 6/13/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

MR, a valid point. Of course, there are exceptions. But all in all, true. And a good barometer will be how Roger Clemens performs in his abbreviated season to come. I'll keep track of every start, and as Ian reminded me, I called Roger "dead to me." He is, all the better to report any feebleness that he might show later this season. But he'll be good for 6 innings in most of his starts. Then the Yanks' bullpen comes into play, and that's where we have an advantage....until the 9th, or near it. The bridge INTO troubled waters, in the Yankees' case. Paps and Mo? A toss-up...I like Paps and his youth, his ability and the team's shoulder stengthening program. There's so much to be happy about right now.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home