Saturday, June 09, 2007

Crooked Numbers, At Last!

Finally the Boston Red Sox seem to have broken out of their batting slump. Josh Beckett was, well, Josh Beckett last night in Arizona as the Sox beat the D'backs by a score of 10-3. He allowed 5 hits and 3 runs over eight strong innings. Joel Piniero pitched a clean ninth to finish things up. The batting star was someone who every member of RSN has been waiting for to start hitting the way we all know he can. JD Drew, back in a National League Park, had two 3 run home runs and 7 total RBIs. And Papi and Manny had multiple hits in front of him, making the middle of the order more closely resemble what Theo envisioned before the season started. Let's hope JD can keep it up. Julio Lugo started the game with a bang, a deep rocket shot 30 rows into the crowd. He also pulled the "hidden ball trick" on an unsuspecting runner at second base. I almost fell off my chair!

I guess it's safe to chalk up Josh's first mediocre start back from his injured finger to nerves, nerves or uncertainty about his finger. And a potent Yankees' lineup. But last night all his pitches were working, and he only needed 92 of them in his 8 innings of work. Economical? Oh yes, and fun to watch, too.

Tonight, it's Tavarez up against Owens in what might very well be Julian's last start. He'll soon join a bullpen that has another "new" face....Mike Timlin, back and healthy. To make room for him, JC Romero was designated for assignment. Too many lefties, with the Darkman and Javy Lopez ready and able, made his jettison inevitable. But having a "pitching well" Mike Timlin can only help us.
Having two straight victories under our belts never felt so good. Click on the title of this post for more on the game, from Gordon Edes of the Globe, as the Sox move to within one game of the 40 victory mark. They are 39-21. For some reason, 40-21 sounds SO much better. Tonight can fix that!

I had a little problem publishing this post.....if you have any doubts, just add www to my blog addy, just like this....
http://www.peteronall.blogspot.com/ Phew! Peter here, on Saturday morning, feeling better because this post showed up....finally!!

16 Comments:

At 6/09/2007 9:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

It's nice to have my latest post show up. I guess blogger.com had a hiccup this early morning. But all is well, don't change a thing, and if you were lucky enough to see some of Josh's night last night from Arizona, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the form of comments! Have a safe and wonderful weekend. And Kaylee, if you read my comment on YOUR blog a little earlier, and I know it's early right now, please let me know!
Have a great weekend.......every one of you. Peter N....who else?

 
At 6/09/2007 9:19 AM, Blogger VTek said...

Josh 9-0 is great news - He looked really happy at the end of the game last night!

Blogger was having hiccups on Wednesday also, as one of my posts would not immediately post either. Have a good weekend too!

 
At 6/09/2007 9:22 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Peter,
I read your post before you posted on mine. I had no trouble on yours!

 
At 6/09/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger Ian said...

As nice as it was to see Josh baseball get his 9th win, it was even better to see Drew hopefully start to break out of his slump.

 
At 6/09/2007 10:28 AM, Blogger JaySpay said...

BIG shout out to JD Drew also...hopefully our investment will start to pay dividends. I didn't see the whole game but
7 (count 'em 7) ribbies...way to go JD

 
At 6/09/2007 11:05 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks everyone, and jayspay, I'm sure we'll ALL waiting for your tuesday morning 1967 Sox post, if you can....I KNOW you can!
Go Julian, in this, your last start of the year. And ya did great!

 
At 6/09/2007 11:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Carol, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with the post pub. delay, although it seems fine! Thanks!!

 
At 6/09/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I just received Jay's 1967 post, and it concerns April, the first month of that magic baseball season of 1967. It will be up here at PRSF on Tuesday morning, after the Sox off-day. THANKS JAY!!!!

 
At 6/09/2007 2:52 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Oh man I was at the game and Josh was great.I love to watch him pitch there were more RED SOX FANS there than diamondback fans.I didnt delete your link I dont know what happened to it

 
At 6/09/2007 3:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

It's OK, Kaylee...I left a comment over at your blog with my blog's link...maybe it got lost when you put your links in alphabetical order? That's something I'd never have the patience to do!
Have a great weekend....hi to Baby Bother, and everyone.

 
At 6/09/2007 3:35 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

WAIT!!! Kaylee, you were there? WOW. You saw us FINALLY score some runs! I hope we can do the same thing tonight, and then tomorrow....Daisuke and RJ on Sunday.

 
At 6/09/2007 3:45 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Ok,peter i will put it up but i have to leave the house right now.I am going to tomorrows game too:)

 
At 6/09/2007 7:28 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks K! And Ian, he (JDD) was and will be for the next 2 days in a place that he is familiar with. NL. And the Sunday matchup pitching-wise is so intriguing....Daisuke and RJ. First things first, though.
And............if Roger pitches JUST like he did today, he will be a .500 pitcher for THAT team this year. TAKE MY OPINION TO THE BANK!! But just deposit it, for now. No withdrawing. But I have faith when my mind tells me something, and with that faith comes the inevitable doubts. I KNOW ONE THING, right here and right now.....a Sox win tonight would be so so so so nice! "Tonight's The Night", as Neil Young sang wonderfully and sadly....way back when. 1978, I think. GO SOX.....

 
At 6/09/2007 7:30 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Everyone, thanks...have a great night, and hope for more "crooked numbers" from our Sox. And thanks for being here!

 
At 6/10/2007 7:10 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Josh pitched like the Josh of the '03 WS. I was well-pleased:

Having the MLB Extra Innings Package, I suffered through FSN-AZ, as Matt Williams earned a "Mc Carver" as he just wouldn't shut up.

 
At 6/10/2007 7:11 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& Kaylee, I hope that you enjoyed it all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home