Saturday, May 26, 2007

Under The Weather

The Boston Red Sox were literally under the weather last night in Texas. The game was delayed close to two hours by rain, and then winning pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka was forced to leave after 5 innings due to nausea. He was put on IV fluids after his aborted start and is doing fine. And so are the Red Sox. They came back and won this game 10-6 and are showing signs that the minor hitting slump is over and done with. Caput. Finito. Bye bye. So long. Farewell. And that spells trouble for the rest of the league. This, from the Courant, explains how Daisuke "toughed it out" after his early bout of queasiness........


"I felt very good coming out of my warmup in the bullpen," said Matsuzaka, who received intravenous fluids after his outing. "I was looking forward to pitching this game. But all of a sudden, I didn't feel too well. I tried my best to take the team as deep into the game as possible. I regret that I ended up being a burden to my teammates today."
The Red Sox scored four runs in the second off Brandon McCarthy, then tagged Frank Francisco for four more in the sixth to take a 10-5 lead.
But it was two runs off Wes Littleton (0-1, 4.50) in the fifth that proved decisive, as the Red Sox immediately erased a 5-4 deficit created after Matsuzaka's lone rough inning.
The fourth inning has not been kind to Matsuzaka at times this season, and Friday night was one of them. What made this five-run meltdown different is that Matsuzaka maintained control of the strike zone. The problem was, the Rangers were rocketing strikes all over the ballpark.
"I think it was a strong battle, given the fact of the way he was reacting on the mound in the second inning, with the onset of the nausea," Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell said. "There was no sign of it pregame. In the bottom of the second, you could see it coming on."

Peter here. Way to hang in there and earn a victory, wasn't it? The bullpen took over and held the hard-hitting Rangers to one run from the 6th inning onward, as Lopez, Donnelly, the Darkman and Paps in a non-save situation allowed their team to storm back with 2 runs in the 5th and 4 more in the 6th. It was smooth sailing from there. Kevin Youkilis had 2 hits, and that extended his hitting streak to a career-high 17 games. Papi and Manny also had 2-hit games.
The Sox, with the victory, ran their record to 32-15, the best in baseball and 10 1/2 games better than the Yankees, who again lost. The blame for their latest loss rests squarely in the hands, or arms, of their bullpen, and it is said that Brian Cashman is on the hot seat. Such is baseball life in New York City, soap-opera style. Things are much rosier in Boston. And that's just fine with me. Tim Wakefield will try and continue his team's winning ways. He goes against the Ranger's Padilla tonight at 8:05. We'll be ready.
Click on the title for more on the game, and I want to wish each and every one of you a happy and healthy holiday weekend. And remember what this Memorial Day holiday stands for as we give thanks to all those, past and present, who have served their country well. We're proud of you.

9 Comments:

At 5/26/2007 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see Darkman and Paps back to form, isn't it? I heard somewhere yesterday that a teams that have a greater than 6 game lead over their next closest rival on Memorial Day when the division 91% of the time.
Let's hope the stats are right this time!

 
At 5/26/2007 9:36 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

MCW! And wow, that seems like a huge percentage. But over time, yes, I can see it. Have a wonderful holiday weekend. And maybe Timmy will give us a Memorial Day weekend treat...he's due!

 
At 5/26/2007 12:47 PM, Blogger VTek said...

I've also been under the weather for the last few days. Glad to hear that the Sox won! When I went to bed they were ahead 4-0; my morning paper said that they were losing 4-5 when they went to press, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that they came back (as usual). Have a nice weekend!

 
At 5/26/2007 12:53 PM, Blogger Ian said...

It's such a different culture in Japan. Dice-K saying he was a burden to his team. He wasn't a burden at all. It happens. He pitched his guts out (literally) and did what he could to enable a team win.

 
At 5/26/2007 1:55 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5/26/2007 1:56 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Nice win by the boys.....I hope timmy can get us another tonight but I am not so confident:-) I am glad daisuke is okay.

 
At 5/26/2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Lisa Johnson said...

Hey Peter! Thanks for the heads up about Tim Wakefield on the mound tonight. I have to update my Fantasy Baseball roster.

 
At 5/26/2007 11:34 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

i made a new blog called my life,its not sbout baseball though!

 
At 5/27/2007 7:49 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Feel better Carol. Ian, I know.....he had no business coming out for his final inning, and what did he do? Put up a scoreless frame. He is truly somone special who will continue to rack up wins. Hey, the UCONN men's team ALMOST came back yesterday. We have to be proud. And hi Kaylee (how's baby brother??), AND Anali. Anali, I stop by your blog at least 4 times a week, and I always end up hungry afterwards! Wakes was good enough last night, and the 'pen? Wow, as always this year.
Thank you all for stopping in so many times. Makes me so happy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home